Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Little Bit of the Old Days

Yesterday morning, I accompanied my friend, Joyce, to her first visit to a new dentist in Remington, Indiana. Remington is only about 32 miles from De Motte but I have been there only a handful of times in my 65 years. I don't think I've ever gone there for a purpose but only ridden through the town. I was pretty amazed that the culture there was so different than the one in which we live. Both are small Indiana towns but our town is closer to the city and so life seems much faster paced and more "contemporary", shall we say. Remington is a VERY small town. I noticed an antique store down the street from the dentist's office so while my friend was under the light and mirror, I took a walk to see what I could see. It is a delightful antique store, chuck full of choices. I had to make my selections carefully since I'm becoming more aware of my lack of the paycheck I'm used to. I found two small serving pitchers. One is very old and the other not quite so old and they were priced accordingly. I also picked up four small glass berry dishes that were dainty and nice. I felt a tingle of satisfaction in my being as I held my new treasures in my arms. Before I left, I spoke to the lady whom I assumed was the owner of the shop. She told me that many of the businesses had left the town and they were now pretty much without commerce except for farming.

While I sat in the dentist office waiting area, I overheard the conversation between the employees. They all seemed very happy and friendly with one another, They greeted their patients calling them by their first names. A couple of the gals were sharing their intent to attend church last night because it was Wednesday night. I smiled inside and thought how this culture seemed much like I remember enjoying as a child. I wouldn't say they are an antique town, but one that has retained its small town personality and its own innocence. I walked around the neighborhood and enjoyed the neat little home sites, complete with gardens. I didn't see any "subdivisions" as we have springing up all over the place around us in this area. I guess I could say that for a moment, I longed for the good ole' days. The innocence is gone here in De Motte. We have an influx of city people so the expectations here have risen to a different standard. De Motte remains a good place to rear a family, but it isn't the same as it once was. Change is inevitable. When the city pushes farther south, Remington will change as well. Until that time, I know there is a place I can visit to revert to the past and enjoy a few moments of smaller town charm and rest.

Today, I went with my daughter to a doctor's visit in Valparaiso. We left early and hit a few garage sales on the way. We also shopped at a few stores always checking out the clearance racks and shelves. Lauri has a cappucino machine which uses little discs. A package of sixteen is usually around nine dollars. We found them for two and a half dollars today. She bought a boatload of them. I won't feel so guilty the next time Ethan (six years old) fixes me a cappucino. Fixing me a cappucino is one of either Mackenna's or Ethan's favorite things to do for their grandma. Grandma always enjoys it, too.

As usual, our mother/daughter days involve the whole day. Once we are out, why not spend the day? So that is what we did again today. Lauri warned me today that tomorrow is her day to get caught up. I agreed with that plan. I don't think I've been home a day this week. It's time to tidy up around here and get some laundry done. Unless, something better comes along :).

No comments: