Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ba Humbug

One would think I was taking a self awarded sabatical or something. I don't think I wrote yesterday and it is already after three on Tuesday afternoon. I've just had a couple blah days and wasn't really in the mood to share my blah with anyone. What is it that causes those times when one is just unsettled, not content, stressed (I like the old term better; nervous). I have no idea what is going on with me. Ba humbug, I guess.

Today I started to put up Christmas at the De Vries's. I suppose that is part of the problem. We are leaving the day after Christmas, will return around the fourth or so of January and then turn around and leave for Phoenix for a few weeks. When am I going to get all this stuff down and put away? Crazy to be worried about that now but I am. Once I get home from Phoenix I will be head, shoulders, knees and toes into the Women's Retreat effort. I can hear you sane people say; "Gayle, take one day at a time." I would yell back at you, "Today, I CAN'T do that!" I did make a concerted effort to slim down the decor this year. I don't intend to do anything in our family room or bedrooms. Forget it. Noone but us goes in those places and we can do without Christmas in those rooms. I am having our small group Bible study from church in a couple of weeks and of course, would like the main living area to look presentable, loved and expectant. I have most of that done thanks to my hard work of today so hopefully I can relax soon.

I should be in a great mood. Tonight is a very special Christmas party that we have been invited to several years. Our invitation comes by default but we are thankful to be invited. Our friend's cousin is part owner of a grocery chain. They have done well and each year at this time, they put on a Christmas sing three nights within one week. Tonight is the first night and the best night for us this week. One large wing of their home is a music room. It is phenomenal. It boosts of large windows on three sides floor to ceiling and a beautiful fire place. There is enough room for seating approximately one hundred people. A pipe organ and a grand piano are two of the room's focal points. They pull out all the stops, no pun intended. Tonight we will sing carols to those beautiful instruments. Each year they add to those trumpets, violins, harp, french horn and talented solo voices. It is a highlight of the season for me. Once I've experienced this night, I will consider my holiday well celebrated. The neat things is that we praise the reason for the season at this party. There will be no Santa and the evening will not hint at the secular. Jesus, Be Our Center.

So, with that thought in mind, I will change my nasty attitude and get with the real joy of Christmas. I guess I don't care if my Christmas tree is still up in March. We still need a bit of cheer in this house as we remember once again the joy of the new Babe of Bethlehem.

What is the highlight of your Christmas celebration?

No comments: