Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Church Goes Forward

We have just returned from a retreat weekend for leaders in our church. I wasn't so excited about going. I guess I thought it would be the same old thing. I'm not even sure what the same old thing would be but I didn't have a very good attitude about spending a Friday evening and Saturday morning with thirty people from our church making plans for our future.

BUT! I was wrong, totally wrong. Our meetings were full of anticpation to see what God is going to do next at CCRC. First we met in a large group and were taught the difference of character in a small, medium, or large church. It was quite interesting and I could easily pinpoint some of the changes our church's growth has brought to the table. There were painful experiences and feelings I have had over some of the changes that I can now see as things that were uncomfortable but necessary. Later we broke into small groups and dialoged about what steps the Lord wanted us to take in this growth experience. It was so good to realize that everyone was on the same page. Most people saw the different issues the same way or similarly. That was encouraging. I am sure the Spirit of the Living God is alive and well at Community. Does that make us a perfect church? Far from it. We have our work cut out for us. In regard to ourselves, oh my, what steps we could take to walk closer to the Lord and recognize His power in our lives. In regard to those new who walk through our doors; judge not lest we be judged and love as Jesus did and does. I'm glad I was invited to attend. It gave new vision to my spiritual eyes and new loyalty to the church of which we have been members for twenty five years. God is good.

In our fellowship hall today a bridal shower was held for our pastor's daughter. I felt honored to be invited. Many of those there had children Nichole's age and so naturally were honored guests. I'm not sure what I have done to make me an invited guest but I do love Nichole and wish her the very best in life with her soon to be husband. Nichole is a beautiful girl with a smile the advertising industry would give its right arm for. When she smiles, which is most often, the world lights up around her.

My friends, Bernice and Joyce brought me home after the shower. Noone was home here and it seemed a good time to invite them for a cup of tea. We were fed well at the shower so no food was necessary and so we enjoyed tea for three. Our conversation flitted from one subject to another and we found ourselves saying, "No back to ......" I shared with them the joy of the leadership training meetings. We discuss many of the issues and they were thrilled to hear there was such unity of thought and purpose among the leaders. Our subjects then turned to things like the presidential campaign and our confusion over the right person for the job. Then we discussed the war in Irag and the confusing stories one hears about how that is going. Our thoughts turned to the needs in our families and the families of the ladies in our Bible study. After we had said several times, "we need to pray about that", we took the bull by the horns and bowed our knees to Jesus. He said to cast all our anxiety and burdens upon Him. That we did, making it very clear we need His wisdom and guidance. One thing that has become an important prayer in my spirit is asking God to bring truth in every circumstance to the surface. So we prayed that prayer over all these matters. It was a sweet time of communion with the God of the universe as the three of us invited His presence right at my kitchen table. God tells us where two or three gather in His name, He is in the midst of them. He truly was. I feel so light and carefree as I gave Him all those things that are beyond the scope of my ability to change. I trust Him to change minds of even the presidents and kings of this world. What an awesome God we serve.

Tomorrow, we will gather with the people of our church and worship God. We will lift prayers of praise to Him. We will learn from Him and we will cast again many things onto Him. When we cast anything on another person we feel we have betrayed him or her and given that person our responsibility. Just think about it. God tells us He is big enough to hold the burdens of the world. He doesn't want us to hold back from casting our burden on Him like we would hesitate to cast our responsibility or burden on our friend. He is actually honored because our doing that is obedience to Him. Responding in faith to God's directives will be accredited to us for righteousness. Yes, I learned that fresh again recently from Beth Moore's teachings.

Sleep well tonight......God does give His beloved sleep. He promised.

No comments: