Monday, November 19, 2007

Monday's Musings

The day is rather blah. The sun hasn't even peeked out of the clouds yet today and it is mid afternoon. I involved myself in some mundane housekeeping chores this morning, ; laundry including sheets from two beds. Tomorrow I'll do the third one from the main floor and the one the adult kids sleep in, well, they will stay dirty until they decide to clean their own sheets. It always amazes me how long some young people will sleep in the same sheets. YUK. I can't think of too many things that bring more contented pleasure than climbing in a bed made with clean sheets. The feel and smell make a satisfying combo. Love it.

After I had our home back in shape, I went to town to make a few pictures from my memory card. Seemed rather stupid to go to town for three lousy pictures but it helped my organization. Norma Glock, wife of Ken's biological cousin from Oregon, sent me three wonderful sets of luncheon plates and cups. I put them in individual boxes and took a picture of one set of each box. Those were the pics I had made this morning so that I could tape the pics to the boxes and then easily identify the contents of the box. It helps the people who help me rebox the sets after they are used at the women's retreat. What a job that is. I best not think about that now or I'll get cold feet.

While I waited for the processing of the pictures, I was standing in an aisle filled with Christmas stuff. Suddenly, Lauri was standing next to me with a hug to boot. She had seen my car at CVS and came to hunt me down. (Those sorts of things happen in a small town). She asked what I had found and I told her not a dumb thing. It is just more STUFF. She agreed and then suggested we go to get a salad from MacDonalds so she climbed in my vehicle and off we went. We talked of taking them to my house but then Lauri said, "Let's just pull up to the road here and watch the town go by". I laughed because I have often done that when I'm alone. I'll get a salad, pull over into the parking lot by the road and truly watch the town go by. Having been in this town all but three years of my life (two years in college and about nine months of married life until we moved here), I am sure to see the familar when I sit and watch. After our lunch was ingested, I brought Lauri back to her car and then went to the grocery store to pick up something for dinner. I didn't cook yesterday, much to my family's disappointment, but for tonight, there is a beef roast, potatoes, onions and carrots in the oven. Ken has already walked into the house and followed his nose to see what the aromas were coming from. I could tell, he is pleased. It is smellin' real yummy in here.

I often think of the sacrifice that Ken made to move to my home town. He contacted the mumps when we had been married about nine months. He developed a secondary infection and spent ten days in Christ Hospital. When his fever was really high, 105 or higher, he was placed on an ice sheet. I didn't really know Ken's parents well then but knew that Ken was the apple of their eye, being their only child. I think because I was so young (20) I was oblivious to the seriousness of his condition. I recall walking back to his room along with his parents from the cafeteria when his mother suddenly broke down. She was worried sick about her only son and I hadn't realized it. I recall feeling very uncomfortable not knowing how to respond to her. Ken's father did a good job of comforting her. I'll always remember that moment. Ken got out of the hospital on April 2, l963. It was a gorgeous, warm spring day. That is probably why the date has stuck with me all these years. His instruction from the doctor was that he couldn't go back to work for about six weeks. During that time, we came here to De Motte and stayed in my grandmother's home while she spent some time in Florida. It was during that recovery time that Ken fell in love with the country and this rural area. I'm not sure Ken's mother ever believed it was his idea to move here, but it truly was. Ken has become such a native by osmosis. He knows at least as many people or more than I do. He is so loyal to the town and the area. There is still some city in the boy but he isn't in the city any more. The best thing is that I was returned to the place of my birth and nurturing. I have been among the people I grew up with all these years. I am so grateful to Ken for giving me that gift. When I think about it, we could have ended up in one of the southern or western suburbs. That doesn't sound all that appealing to me at this point though I probably would have gotten used to that too. I love the life we enjoy here and thank God for a sane place to rear our children. To God be the glory.

No comments: