Sunday, December 30, 2007

Family Gathering the 29th

The day was FULLLLLL. Everyone descended upon Jay and Tasha around one oclock. My sister and her husband and her daughter, Tricia and her new fiance, and my dad and his wife all came for the afternoon. We had not met Tricia's new beau before. Everyone took to Joey and was enveloped by the end of the day. There were thirty people in attendance. Even Tasha's mom and sister came for awhile. Her mother makes the best Jamaican potato salad. It is much like the kind we make but she adds corn to it. She has mad it for Tasha several times before and I always enjoy it. I sometimes wonder why I don't add corn to mine but then it wouldn't be mine. Jay cooked a huge pan of ribs and Tasha's mom made a pan of chicken flavored with the many spices of Jamaica. If I wasn't at the center of things I would have to smile at the many flavors of people among us.

I hate to brag but God has given us awesome weather. It was 87 degrees yesterday. It was perfect for the kids to play in the pool and on the lake. All went well until the boat got turned over the rope and the propeller ate the rope. Fortunately, that was close to the end of the day and try as they may all those men couldn't put it together again. Poor Jay...he will have things to get fixed after we leave. After the boat was out, they played on the Skiddoos seeing how fast they could take the turns. Many smiles and delight on faces. Our daughter in law, Tasha, surprised us yesterday with comments about how important it is for all of us to talk to our children about keeping in touch throughout life. She said the bond they have is so special and it is important for all of them to keep in touch. That sounds like a daughter statement but it was the daughter in law. I was moved.

More later...gotta run.
I have so much more to record

Today is the 3oth and Ken's 66th birthday. Praise God for health and strength.

I'm back after a VERY busy and full day. We were late to leave for church this morning. We were meeting Lauri and Elton and Don and Sherri out at the island where my dad lives in the winter. Our three older kids have very fond memories of the years we used to come down here for the holidays when their first grandmother was still alive. As I sat in the rec room church service this morning, a wave of nostalgia overwhelmed me and I began to cry. It was my mother's idea to buy this place in Florida. My dad wasn't interested and threw the material about it away in the garbage. My mother told him to get it out and consider it. The early days at Nettle's Island were simple to what it is today. There were many open lots and the ones that were occupied were ocuppied with pop ups and trailers. Today there are few trailers, most of the homes are either double wide mobile homes or big stick built two stories built on postage stamp lots. Their values are not postage stamp values however. This place has become a valuable piece of property. At any rate, the older kids were having dejavue. I could tell that especially Sherri, John, and Lauri were in their glory. Lauri kept saying she wants to get back there this trip yet. I doubt that will happen but it was nice while we were there.

Mary fed 29 people for lunch. At seventy nine years old that ain't half bad. She is in her element when she is a hostess. There were burgers, hot dogs and pork chops. All were fed well and then fed the leftovers after the trip to the ocean later today. The 24 people at the beach were all in a bit of heaven doing their own thing. Some were sitting in the waves squealing with delight and others were sitting in the crushed sea shells quietly and reflectively looking for a better specimen. It was quite a site. I commented to Ken to just look at what we started. Wow.....and they are all good looking. Does that sound like a grandmother or what?

I came into a room last night and our three oldest kids were sitting on the floor, Sherri first with John sitting between her legs and Lauri next sitting between John's legs. I said, "What the dickens are you guys doing?" They were laughing their heads off and said they were reenacting the picture we sent as a Christmas card when they were kids when they were three, five and seven. What weirdos. On the other hand, how precious. They had someone taking pictures so of course I had to do that, too. I got several of those.

It's a zoo here at this point. We are back at Jann's house and expecting some of the kid's and their families to stop here in about twenty minutes. Of course, everyone wants to see everyone's houses and so tonight is Auntie Jann's night. She is up for it....delighted to have her nieces and nephews after so many years of absence. It is quite something to move this hoard of people at one time. It's been going quite well. Tomorrow some of the kids will be moving on . Jennifer and Kip will fly back to Chicago and John and Kim will be heading out to Orlando. I think we will be going there, too, in a couple of days. This many people together is a stretch for people's patience and forbearance. Good for us all. Most of us are doing really well. I'm more than pleased so far.

No comments: