Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Storm Brewing

My day started with a stirring that wasn't either of the two of us. We realized Isaiah had early morning BB practice. He always combs his hair in the bathroom off our bedroom. As he walked by the bed in which I still was tucked away, he said, "Grandma, Meijers is having a senior citizen sale today until midnight". I tried not to laugh and thanked him for giving me a heads up. He ended the conversation with, "I just thought you should know". As he walked away, I wondered how the world he knows I'm a senior citizen. Little booger.

This is the weather forcast for De Motte:


Today
Tonight
Tomorrow
Follow the Snow
Freezing Rain / Wind
High32° F
Precip:

90%
Windy...with periods of freezing rain expected. Cold. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds SE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 90%.
Rain / Ice / Wind Early
Low30° F
Precip:

100%
Windy...with periods of rain and freezing rain early...then cloudy with a few rain showers overnight. Low near 30F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph.
Find the Deepest Snow
Rain / Snow Showers / Wind
High44° F
Precip:

40%
Windy. Rain showers early becoming mixed with snow showers later in the day. High 44F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 40%.

Doesn't sound like very much fun. I felt the weather forcasters messed up many people's Thanksgiving holiday by predicting doom and gloom for travelers. Our daughter and fiance from Chicago decided not to risk the possibility of bad travel and stayed at home together for the holiday. While she was beating her potatoes, she stuck her index finger in the pan to push down a potato. The beaters caught her finger and made mincemeat of it. They ended up spending Thanksgiving evening in the hospital emergency room and got home around one the next morning. Fourteen stitches later, she is healing and complete healing will occur as time goes on. No bad weather developed that day. She and her significant other could have been with the rest of us. So much for depending on meterologists.

So, back to the forcast, I'm beginning to think they may be right this time. It has already started to snow on top of a light layer of ice. My friend just called and mentioned that the one grocery store in De Motte had long lines of people trying to get home before the storm's climax and have something in the house to eat besides. I hadn't thought about that. We have no eggs and no bread. Two pretty important staples so I think we will go the other direction to the little berg of Roselawn where there is an IGA. Probably no different there but one can dream. As we talked about those needs, Isaiah reminded me again about the senior citizen sale at Meijer. He just can't get off that kick. Meijers is a thirty minute trip......not a chance today.

Oh dear, now I hear sleet against the window next to me. I suppose I'd better got off my duff and get into some preparatory action. Hope all of you stay safe and cozy in your warm homes.

No comments: