Friday, November 30, 2007

My Dear Uncle

As I stare into the blank space on this blog this morning, I wonder, "What will I write about this morning?" There isn't anything earth shattering that has happened between yesterday morning and this morning. At least not in this household and for that I am so grateful. In many households, earth shattering things have happened in the last twenty four hours. My heart bleeds for those that suffer. I answered the phone at nine o'clock last evening and it was my dear aunt; my father's only sister. To me she is precious beyond words. Her message was that an earth shattering had occurred in my uncle's life yesterday. The uncle of which we speak is the one that has had pancreatic cancer diagnosed for over a year and a half now. His expected days on earth are long over but we all desired to hang on to him for as long as we could. Uncle Bob was moved to a Hospice center yesterday when it got too much for his wife to care for him at home. He had been falling and while that was dangerous enough, Aunt Connie couldn't get him up without help.

My uncle has been one of my most important spiritual mentors. His example of a life lived as Christ lived was very powerful in my own life. His encouragement in our adoptions was invaluable. His influence on my life will live on through my children and my children's children. Each of my children knows how important Uncle Bob is to their mom and they also know why. Uncle Bob loves like no other human being I know. I will always recall with fondness the times we spent in their home. When it was bedtime, he called us to sit with the two of them and share some Scripture and pray. His prayers for our family were priceless in our ears and I'm certain in God's ears as well.

My heart breaks to hear of his deteriotion. No, I didn't get the book finished before it is too late for him to enjoy. I'm so sorry about that. I just didn't feel I could do a good enough job when I felt pressured to do it within a certain time period. I just wrote him and Aunt Connie a letter which they probably got on Tuesday. It asked a few details about their family which I need to finish the bio part of the book. The rest is so close to finish. I need to make one more trip to St Joe college to have one of the English profs there help me with something that needs fixing. He has done it before so I know he will do it again. Once that is accomplished and the info Aunt Connie will give me, we will be ready for the presses to roll. I regret not getting complete before his passing.

Uncle Bob had his 84th birthday on Tuesday. I'm glad I sent him a card. I'm even more glad that contrary to my usual performance on that score, the card was on time.
I pray the Lord takes him quickly. While his mind was still alert and vibrant, I wanted to keep him yet awhile but now, well, now, it is time to release him to the Father who will receive him with open arms and a "well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into the rest I have prepared for you".

No comments: