Thursday, November 29, 2007

Little Things Mean Too Much Sometimes

As I said before, the last couple of days were blah for me. I'm almost ashamed to say such a thing as time is such a precious commodity. I praise God for every moment of life. Yet, I felt uncomfortable when I was out of my house and comfortable when I was safely in my recliner in the warmth of my newly holiday decorated living room. I kept wondering what the deal was. Was I upset about something? One would think I would know if I was or not. I had felt a sinus thing going on and I think I was a bit scared. Sinus things are not kind to me so I started Zicam immediately and have been at that faithfully every four hours in the morning to evening routine. I feel better this morning and think it may be licked. I praise God for that today. There is still some thickness there but it is much improved today and life is looking a whole bunch better. (BTW, Zicam cotton swabs work wonderful for me)

I drove over to church yesterday afternoon to deliver a couple of items to the church secretary. One of the ladies rather new to our fellowship was decorating the sanctuary. We chatted awhile and she shared the difference life is for her family since they began to live it God's way. It was a faith building discussion. On my way home I came to a three corner stop and noticed that the same bundles of plastic wrap we had seen on Thanksgiving morning was blowing in the wind. It was tied around three poles. Obviously the work of some teens out for a good time. It was apparant they had made a sort of barricade effect across the two roads at that spot. The fist time I saw it, I smiled because I was a teen once also and could imagine if I had had the money to buy plastic wrap by the roll my friends and I may have done the same thing. The "barricade" had been broken and now hung trails of plastic wrap over the three corners of the road. I decided it needed to be cleaned up so I parked my car and pushed on the hazard lights. I went to the first pole and tried to pull the wrap off the pole. No small trick. It was thick and very, very strong. I went back to my car and began to dig in the glove compartment for a scissor I thought was in there. Umph. No scissor. Then I dug in the console and found a foldable pliers that had knives in it. Hotdog! I took that thing and cut the plastic wrap with little effort. It was actually fun. I pulled all the stuff up to my car and loaded it in the hatch back. I was first going to take it home to put in our garbage can but soon realized our garbage can would not hold that amount of "stuff". So I turned around the car and headed back to church to dump it in the commercial sized garbage disposal there.

During my digging into the glove compartment of my car, I found a plastic bag. I pulled it out and lo and behold, there were two small soaps in the shape of Smokey the Bear. When we were in Yellowstone this summer, the soap had been folded in a wash cloth in our small cabin. It must have been the ambiance because that little bear soap became very important to me. Because there were two couples in one cabin, I went to the lobby of the hotel ( a special effort because it was very cold and a long way from our cabin) to ask for another bear soap so that each of us could have that memento. The lady behind the counter generously provided me two bear soaps in a plastic bag. I put those two in the glove compartment thinking I had a treasure. I hadn't thought of them again until I found them yesterday. I chuckled when I saw them. I was so into those soaps at the time and since then, they hadn't been given a second thought. Now, what will I do with them. They are on my dresser at the moment. Noone but Ken and I have any sentimental value in those things. They will probably go into a dresser drawer and be forgotten until the next time I'm digging for something else.

That experience reminded me that often in life, I have become obsessed with the unimportant. Things that I should give little attention to, capture my full attention. The things I don't give much attention are due all of my attention. I think the apostle Paul summed it up when he said, something like this; the things I do, I wish I didn't and the things I don't do, those things I should do. I love the phrase, major in the majors and not in the minors. Good advice for all of life.

No comments: