Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Stuck in the House Today

Ken took the Christmas cards to town this morning to drop off at the PO. A big job complete. As I looked them over before they went out, I realized my uncle and aunt's name was on one of them. I told Ken, we had better mail it fast as the uncle may not be among the land of the living by this evening. Still makes me sober and sad. Another card is addressed to our friends in Flint that are struggling with the result of several strokes that Wilma has suffered. I thought how important it is to be mindful of what the recipients of our cards are going through. How inapporpriate it would be to send a humorous card to these dear people. Not that I ever send funny cards but I have received a few over the years.

Another of our cards went to Harley and Liz, our Amish friends in Goshen. After Ken had left for town, the Lehman's former neighbor, also friends of ours called. Their news was not good. Harley and Liz's daughter's husband and two year old son were hit by a car as they walked along route #20 on Thursday morning. Thankfully, both of them are alive and will probably survive but there are major damages. The 31 year old father of five is in a South Bend hospital and the word among the Amish folk yesterday was that he could expect a three month stay. The little boy has several broken bones and is in a body cast. The family has a newborn and four other small children. I am sure Harley and Liz's family has been thrust into action. The Amish people help each other and I'm sure Irma and her children are well cared for. I agonized over the long road that young father will have as he waits for healing. If you happen to give him a thought, please pray for him and for his little son. As I thought about them receiving a card from us wishing them a blessed Christmas, I felt sorrow. I quickly wrote a letter of support and concern for them and will put that in the mail today, too. I'm so grateful our friends called to give us that information.

The weather today continues to be rainy and icy. We have more rain than ice today but our daughter and husband in Algonquin have ice today and their schools were canceled. It is rather nice for them. They are both very busy and Craig is especially stressed to the max with his basketball coaching. Kendra called at 10:30 a.m. to say they had just gotten up. I hope they enjoy a quiet refreshing day.

I heard on the news today that Huckabee is nearly tied with Guiliani. Could it really be that such a nice wholesome guy could be a presidential candidate?? I know little about him but everything I do know is too good to be true. I don't care which candidate you support, but I do request that you pray for God's intervention in the political life of this nation.

No comments: