Monday, December 10, 2007

Ice and Death

We are in an icy weather pattern. Had ice a week ago on Saturday and now this past weekend we have been unindated again. This time, though, church was called off all over the area. Special events had to be canceled and efforts so sacrificially made were all in vain. This morning everyone is scurrying to replan and reschedule. Lauri's children's SS program is rescheduled for five next Sunday instead of six. That means we will be able to attend our own church's candle light service which we seem to miss each year since those two occasions are generally planned at the same time. We will go to St Joe Michigan to attend John and Kim's children's SS program in the morning and then get back here for a busy evening. Hopefully the weather will be cooperative then.

Having a Sunday off was different but enjoyable. I think most things that rather jolt our schedules can be refreshing if the jolt isn't something traumatic. I suppose we all stayed home to prevent the traumatic. I spoke to my father early in the day and didn't say anything about our church being cancelled. As I thought about that, it occured to me that I should recall him and give a gentle warning that it is icy outside. Oh, yes, they had gotten a call also and their church was canceled so that they could stay indoors without guilt.

We had planned to host our Bible study group for lunch yesterday and wondered what would happen once the day's activities were called off at church. Six of our members braved the weather and came in spite of it all. I was grateful in as much as we were ready and had plenty of food for the group. We enjoyed our day spending it in a very relaxed, unhurried manner. We studied the second part of Phillipians 1 and had a good discussion about how God desires us to live. We were an encouragement to each other just as it should be.

I got two calls this morning, one from my dad and one from my aunt. It seems my uncle is near death. His youngest son spent the night with his mother by his dad's bedside in the Hospice place where he is spending his last days. Mark read to him from Phillipians which has always been a favorite Scripture to Uncle Bob. He squeezed their hands indicating that he heard and was blessed. They heard a death rattle a couple of times so expect that his death is very near. At this point, I pray God takes him quickly for his sake and for the sake of my aunt and their sons and their families. It is so surreal. What lies beyond? We know so little. We can only trust. What seems so important one day is so insignificant the next. What is man that He is mindful of him?? Yes, Lord, what is man? What is significant about this fleeting thing called life?

No comments: