Thursday, February 28, 2008

Domestic, That I Am?

I have stayed at home much of this week recovering from the overload of the weeks prior. It feels good to bake some banana bread with the bananas that somehow got over ripe while I was away. Quite honestly, I have come to toss those over ripe bananas in the garbage these days but this week I felt like being domestic. This morning, I made a big batch of spaghetti and a batch of sloppy joe hamburger. Ken is still somewhat limited in his ability to chew so we have learned to make things a bit easier for him to eat. Last evening while cleaning out a cabinet in sore need, I ran across a bag of dried cauliflower. Several men from our church work for a business that makes dried fruit and vegetables for the world of food making. When they have overages, the church people benefit. This bag of dried up cauliflower had not looked all that promising to me but last night, I felt like giving it a try. I put enough water on them to hydrate them and put them on the stove. When boiling, I took the pan and set it aside. Later I added milk and onion, let the business simmer and then thickened the soup. I put it through the blender and wala......cream of cauliflower soup. It is quite tastey.

It feels very good to be at home and not have any pressing agenda. If there is one, I don't want to know about it. These four walls are a great comfort this week. The only thing coming up in the next few days is our small group Bible study on Friday night. That is a non threatening meeting where we can relax, let our hair down and be real with each other. It didn't come to be that way without struggle. I can't say we are totally there yet, but it is coming. One begins to love those that are transparant enough to admit fault and failure.

Lauri just rang me up and asked, 'Are you home?" Yes, I am home. Okay, I'll be there in a minute. That means I must go and get the coffee pot on. My girl loves coffee. If she has any vices at all, coffee would be it. I love spending time with my kids. My heart will smile as I welcome her into my door. Have a great day.

No comments: