Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Science Project Gone Awry?

Isaiah is nearing the completion of a science project. The words themselves provoke a churning in my stomach. I have little interest in science and less confidence in the subject. It seems that in this household, the need for help in these matters falls to me. Isaiah decided to do a project that would show the relationship of how various living conditions of pansies affect their root growth. I decided that I could live with that because I grew up as a farmer’s daughter and love to garden so I know at least something about the subject of plant growth.

In early January, the night before we left for Phoenix, Isaiah and I rode through a rainstorm to a friend from church to receive from him a flat of baby pansies. We took those plants home with the expectation that they would grow well. In great detail, I explained everything about caring for them to this “almost twelve year old”. I told him about feeding them the plant food I had purchased, about watering them and even speaking kindly to them. Isaiah assured me he understood.

Ken and I left the pansies in the good care of Isaiah and left for Phoenix. I was very relieved that we had that project underway and on schedule. Some days later, Isaiah’s aunt came to look at the plants to make sure all was well. All was not well. She called and said she thought they looked sick. We discussed the temperature in the sunroom; perhaps we needed a space heater to provide just a bit of heat in the room. She did that. But it was to no avail. Soon Isaiah was on the phone. “Grandma, all these plants are dead.”

“Why?” I asked with voice a bit elevated. After some discussion, we discovered that Isaiah was feeding them plant food each day instead of every two weeks. They were over fed and totally burned up. There was no hope of resurrection.

Pansies are easier to find for sale in Phoenix in January than they are here in the midwest, so I went to Lowe’s and picked up a flat to take home for Isaiah to try again. It has worked better this time, however, I still have to remind that young man to water his plants. Grandma was very busy last week with the women’s retreat and was not watching his plants. The morning after the retreat, I sat in my recliner and my eyes went to one of the boxes of pansies in the windowsill. I nearly gasped. Every last stem was lying totally limp over the side of the black box. I yelled out Isaiah’s name. When he came in the room, I asked what he saw in the window. He calmly said he saw a wilted plant. I wanted to smack him.

I truly believed this box of plants was beyond hope of revival. While he pushed water into each little section with his vial, I said, “ I think you are too late, Buddy”. He was not dissuaded. He continued to give each plant a healthy drink. In my mind, I had already adjusted the science project to be minus that particular box.

When we returned home four hours later, I again sat in my recliner. Imagine my surprise and utter amazement when I looked at the box of dead plants, which were now seemingly healthy again. I called Isaiah back to the living room. I asked him if he wanted to know what a great God we have. He supposed so. I showed him the plants and he, too, was surprised. He had been put out with me for being angry with him earlier in the day, but now a satisfied and very relieved smile broke across his wonderful face. His words were, “Does that mean you aren’t mad at me any more?”

The experience made me think of the life in me. I am speaking of the life of God’s spirit in me. There are more times than I care to admit that my spiritual life is hanging totally limp over the edge of the box. On the outside, there is no sign of life anymore. I look virtually dead. I feel dead. Revival is doubtful. Then God waters me with His living water once again, and I can feel the life come back into me just as I saw life come back into those plants. I think I have been watered again this weekend by the retreat on Saturday and Sunday morning’s service. A good portion of the water I received this weekend was also from the friends that hold me spiritually accountable. I praise God for those people who shake me a bit when I get negative. So, thanks to the retreat, the church service and to Dawn and Doreen, I feel like I drank from God’s well once again. Thank you Lord, for your living water that surprises us with revival. You are the best.

No comments: