Monday, March 10, 2008

With Him, There is Always Hope

Once in awhile, God shows us hope. Last evening I had a conversation with one I love so much who has been hurt deeply in her life. It was a conversation that led to the awareness that God has been about the business of healing. While pain still oozes out of the heart, it is obvious that progress is being made. As I analyze the situation, I'm struck with the realization that while I go about the daily routine of my life, even though I may not be acutely aware of it, God IS working out the details of restoration by His grace and as a result of our cry to Him. I told this dear one that she is on a journey to wholeness. This is not a month long trip but a trip that may last for years. I also gave her the truth that God is for her and that wholeness is within her grasp. Yes, she is recoginizing His will in her life these days. God is faithful. I praise Him.

My experience with this person teaches me that when God uses us.....He may expect us to hang in there for years before we see progress or any change of attitude or philosophy. It is the hanging that gets wearying. There have been times of great disappointment, even times when we feel like we have gone backwards rather than forwards. Yet, God has been active in her and us for all the years we have known each other. It is with great joy that we see progress and healing. I wonder how many times in my life, I have not hung long enough. I think of a person I don't see at church much any more. For years I had daily phone conversations with her. She has been hurt deeply in life also. I think I let the weariness of hanging overwhelm me. I finally stopped making daily phone calls based on my assessment that "by now she should surely be able to stand on her own spiritual feet". I even stopped calling when she doesn't come to church. I suppose I would have to admit that I have rather given her up as a lost cause. I say that shamefully because I know without a doubt she is God's precious child and He hasn't given up on her at all. I just ran out of energy. Perhaps that means I wasn't living as close to the Source as I should have. I'm not sure what happened. I know that in the afore mentioned situation, I couldn't give up. It was not an option. I'm grateful about that because if it had been an option, and I hadn't been willing to hang in the balance of God's promises long enough, I may have given up and missed the blessing. Lord, give grace to each of us as we reach out to those around us that find functioning in joy difficult. Give us patience for the long haul. Thank you for the blessing receive when we hang in there with you and wait to see your good work in those we love.

Praise God from whom all blessing come (no, the Word says "flow") That gives me an entirely different mental picture. Flow means to me that it overwhelms me and continues to happen. Yes, praise God from whom all blessings FLOW.

No comments: