Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Grandma and Dutch Cooking

This morning dawned wet, overcast and cold. The grandson has a soccer game today...Nope, I'm not sitting out in this weather. His mom will have to go it alone today. Besides, I have much work to do in preparation for our dinner with family tonight. Hopefully, that will be excuse enough.

Good frie.nds came to play cards last night. The women lost again. I think we are going to have to change games for the women to have a chance. I can gaurantee that if we played Scrabble, the women would win.

Yesterday, I made a Dutch dish that my grandmother used to make. It is made by boiling pork, kale, barley and potatoes together, then mashing it with an electric mixer. When serving it, we sprinkle a little vinegar on top and enjoy. I can still see Gram come into the house (we lived in the next house down the road) carrying a bowl. Whatcha got Gram? Oh, I made mous and thought you might like some. My dad hated it but being raised on it, my mom loved it. Since my dad was not home for supper times because he worked evenings, my mother and the four kids would gulp it down with pure satisfaction. It was always best the next day. The flavors melded better.

Ken and I enjoyed our dinner last night. Some of our older kids like that Dutch dish, too. I called Lauri thinking she liked it but she said not even a little bit. I know John would love it. Lauri said he would probably drive the hour and a half down here to get some. My youngest brother is a fan. I called him and he is eagerly looking forward to the container he will take home with him tonight.

It's fun to carry on those traditions that seem to get lost in the generations. There are some things my grandma made that I wouldn't care to remember. My grandfather drank with vigor a soup she made from buttermilk and some other mysterious ingredients. I'm happy to forget that one.

Bless you, Gram. You were the best grandma ever. You always thought the best of me and encouraged me to be the best I could be. God gave you to us for ninety one years. Wow, what a gift. Four of my children were blest to experience you in our family life. We all enjoyed your laughter and sense of humor. We relished in the care you gave for so many years. When we began to take care of you, we loved having you join us each Sunday for dinner. We honored you and were happy we could.

No comments: