Friday, May 23, 2008

Call 911

I'm writing this on Friday evening around dinner time. This afternoon I met a friend from church to look at two houses at which her family is taking a serious look. Absolutely beautiful. One of them so formal and sophisticated, I wouldn't be able to feel comfortable there. My friend is rather a new friend to me so I'm not sure how she feels about the presentation of that house. It was a breath taking tour but I was rather glad to move on to something a bit more friendly. Same sized house but just a different feel. It was a good experience for me and I was honored to be asked to accompany the family to take their second look at both houses.



Before coming home, I remembered I'm beginning to look like a three colored cat/my hair needs some color and and I mean now. I went to CVS and looked around the store after choosing my color. I had a four dollar off twenty dollar coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Believe it or not, I had a tough time spending twenty dollars tonight. Eventually, I had spent enough to save four big dollars so I paid for the items and left the store. I took the back way out of town through a subdivision rather than the main streets. I was following a black SUV down Dogwood Street when the SUV stopped abruptly in front of me. The driver, a woman, jumped out of the vehicle and opened the back door with haste. Then she leaned out the door and waved for me to come to the car. About that time, two children came out of the car and walked around in circles crying "my baby brother, my baby brother". When I got out of my car, the young woman was pulling a little boy about two years old out of the car with blood running down his face and all over. everywhere. She yelled, "Call 911! I have not called 911 in all my years but was grateful I had my phone handy. While I was calling the emergency number, I walked to the car. The young mom was hysterical along with the two children in the back seat. Mom was yelling at the kids saying that was the reason they were not to fight in the car. I tried (imagine me staying calm at a time like that) to calm the mom as well as the two older children. The mom explained that the little boy's car seat was not tied in as she thought it was and the little guy had flown up toward the front when she breaked and had hit his head on a piece of sharp metal on the bottom of the seat in the middle of the vehicle. I asked if she had tissues and she said she had nothing because she had just run to bring back some movies she had rented. I went to my car and got some wet wipes. When I returned I wiped blood off her face while she mopped blood off the little guys face, hands, clothes, etc. I reminded her that a head wound always bleeds freely. She said, "I know, I'm a nurse!" I laughed because she simply had lost it and her ashen face was proof that the situation was beyond her endurance. She reminded me that it is different when the emergency involves one's own child. Of course.

When the police arrived, the mother walked the baby back to the police car. At that point the other two kids were crying like they had broken little hearts. I'm not sure how much of the mishap was due to their misbehavior but it was so evident they felt horrible. I asked their names and they told me. I asked if they went to church. Both little heads nodded up and down. I asked if I could pray with them and they were eager. Then holding hands, we asked Jesus to come into the situation and calm all the hearts and to heal their little brother.

By this time, the ambulance had arrived and Mom decided she would deny the ambulance ride and drive him to the hospital for stitches on her own. She told me I could leave and she thought they would all be okay. I asked for her phone number so that I could call later tonight to make sure all was well. My guess is that they are not home as yet.

Anyone who knows me would know that I am not good in emergencies. Other people take care of situations when there is a physical emergency, not Gayle. I'd sooner run the other way. When that young gal waved me to come to her rescue, I thought a quick, "Oh no, Lord, what am I going to find there. Help me to be a help whatever I find". It was amazing how objective I was in the midst of the experience. God's peace was certainly there and I think His peace showed through me. What a shocker. Thank you, Lord, for using me.

No comments: