Monday, May 19, 2008

Painful Lessons Learned Over Time

My most important lessons in life and my philosophy about life comes from many resources......the most important being God's Word. However, I find in reading carefully selected books that I am reminded of important God lessons in a new and fresh way that makes me live differently. I recently commented that I was rereading some of the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I consider Jan Karon to be a master writer. It is so obvious to me that she has a strong and deep relationship with Christ and can so cleverly weaves her faith into the framework of the stories she dreams up. I'm having just as much fun reading the second time of the antics of the many characters in Mitford. I relate personally to Father Tim taking a teen boy into his home and truly becoming a "father". I enjoy the journey from intense struggle to intense joy. When Dooley sheds his less than complimentary English vocabulary, I shout hallelujah. The transformation of this character from one formed by a sorry childhood to one that is the product of love and trust is heartwarming and encouraging. My husband and I have walked a similar road. We, too, have watched God take the wounds of some of our adopted children's sad childhoods and heal them over and make stronger individuals. It is a marvelous thing to be a part of. To God be the praise.
On page 75 of These High, Green Hills , Dooley is having a bit of trouble in his first year of college. Father Tim has talked with the headmaster and was told Dooley had been caught smoking for the second time and was skipping chapel. He also learned that a boy Dooley shared his secrets with had betrayed him and told those secrets around the school. Father Tim laid down the law.......he made a deal about an allowance and how much would be taken away with the next infraction. Then he looked at his "adopted" son, whom he had come to love with all his heart and said something that has stuck with me since reading it. "I talked with Dr. Fleming and he told me what happened. Hear me on this. Your friends will betray you....not all your friends , but some of your friends. That's life. Let it teach you this: YOU must never betray your friends. Ever."
Could there be a better lesson than that? A very painful lesson to be sure but one that teaches the truth of the Word.

No comments: