Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Three Breaths of Fresh Air

Today afforded me two surprises. While folding clothes fresh from the dryer, I heard the doorbell. My doorbell doesn't ring often. Most of our guests just come in and announce them selves with a "Heloooooow". I saw through the side windows two young gentlemen. When I opened the door, there stood two kids I had as students at the high school some five or six years ago. One was an immigrant from China and the other an immigrant from Bulgaria. They were good friends that year they were both students at KVHS. I enjoyed them both so much and they became very dear to me and I think I to them. Now both on to lives of their own, they paid me a visit. They were eager to sit in the living room and visit. We talked at least an hour and then the Chinese young man said he was leaving in an hour to return to his home in Tennessee so they had to go. I was thrilled to visit with both these guys. There were many comments that began with "Remember when?"

Jack from China moved from this area with his sister (also a delightful student of mine) to Tennessee to buy a Chinese restaurant. This kid who couldn't do high school work in English worth a hoot is now the successful owner of his own business. What a thrill to see that an American education is not the only vehicle to a successful life. He told me he and his sister paid a cousin $80,000 for the business two and a half years ago. They tried to each pay $3,000 each month on the loan. They paid the thing off in one year and seven months. These kids are about 25 and 26 years old. There is something about an Asian work ethic that beats all. He said that both he and his sister worked thirteen to fourteen hours a day and hired no help at all during that time. Then he smiled and said, "I work only five days a week now because I have learned by watching friends that if one works that way for a long time, one gets in trouble physically." Through tears he told of a twenty five year old friend that owns a restaurant about thirty miles from his who is now dying. He has worked himself to death. Jack said he isn't going to do that. Jack has a girlfriend now that he is planning to marry next year. He seemed so grown and matured. I asked if he and his wife would send their babies to China to let the grandparents raise them as do the two families that own restaurants in this area. His eyes got big and he said that he planned to raise his own babies. My buttons were popping as he expressed such wisdom about many things. I'm delighted to know Jack.

Mikhal is from Bulgaria and also had a bit of trouble in school. He is a great kid and is still working on getting his high school equivilant diploma. He continues to live here and is going to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks. He plans to look for a wife but knows he has to get his act together first. He is precious boy and I wish him all the best in his life.

Remember the gal whose baby fell from his car seat and split his head open? That was the trauma on Friday. I called her on Saturday but didn't get an answer so left a message that I was curious as to how things turned out for them and asked her to return my call. Today, this sweet young mom called. We had a wonderful time visiting over the phone. I learned that little Gerrit was three instead of two as I had thought. His head injury was suttured with seven stitches. She said right after I left the scene, her parents arrived to help. Her mother took the other two children home to calm them and her father drove her and Gerrit to the hospital. Gerrit was to have his stitches out today. As we visited the world got smaller as we found we commonly knew some people. All is well that ends well....to God be the praise.

People like Mikhal, Jack, and Charity make life a rich experience. Other than our relationship with God, nothing is more important in life than relationships with other human beings. People are the best......must have something to do with people reflecting the character and glory of God.

No comments: