Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Dark Night

Yesterday I enjoyed a day shopping with my friend, Linda, to secure all the food and items she needs for her daughter's in law shower to be held this morning at ten. We had a good morning in Merrillville and then went to church to put things together. The place looks beautiful and the brunch will be wonderful as well.

My troubles began a bit later in the day. We went to Flying J's fifteen minutes from our house for dinner with some friends. When I got out of the car, the thought ran through my head to leave my purse in the car. A second thought ran through my head to take it in in the event my phone would ring. We enjoyed dinner and then went to leave. Only my first thought was recollected......I thought I had left my purse in the car so didn't even look for it. We drove home and then I took the Durango to a local dollar store for a gift bag for the shower. When I drove into the strip mall, I looked on the floor on the passenger side, (the place my purse always sets) and saw nothing. I nearly panicked. I had gone to the bank yesterday and got some cash so there was nearly 200 dollars in that purse not to mention my phone,credit cards, license, etc. I had Ken's phone in my hand since I had been talking on it when I dropped Ken off at home so I rang him and told him my deal. He wasn't happy. (This has happenned before). I asked him to call Flying J's and ask about it. In between my call to him and his to me, Kendra called. While talking with her, a kid let the door of his car fly open into the side of their SUV. I heard her ask him if he had done that and he wasn't sure. A bizarre interaction occured and the boy and his father were found in many lies and the whole experience sent Kendra over the edge. I explained I was trying to handle my own crisis and I was on my way back to Flying J's. Gas is cheap, you know. Eventually, Ken called to say they had my purse and I could get it at the diesel desk. I was relieved to know they had the purse but wasn't confident everything would be in there.

I raced into the truck stop and found the diesel desk. I asked if they had the purse.....yes they did and they had tried to catch us when we left and also paged us. The attendant got the purse out from under lock and key and then gave it to me with this directive, "Check to make sure all is there". I checked and was very relieved to find my purse hadn't been ransacked. I thanked the lady and she commented that "we have very honest people working for us." I said a silent thanksgiving to God.

At that point, I felt a deep need to use the restroom before I got back on the road. The first stall door I tried was locked. The next one pushed in but I felt a bit of resistance. I pushed again...then a voice..... That one was full too. I relate this because these small insignificant things had an overall effect on my insane state of mind. When I walked into my third try, the door opened and I got in. As I did I kind of closed the thing on my right elbow which knocked Ken's phone out of my hand into the toliet. I hate public restrooms but didn't hesitate a second to stick my bare hand into the toliet to retrieve not my but my husband's phone. UGHHHHHHH. I dried it best I could and then did my thing. When I got into the car I wiped and shook that phone.
'
Back in home territory I called my daughter's house and son in law, Elton, answered. I asked if they were home to help me with a problem. Yep, we will be here, he says. When I got there I related my sad story. Elton took the phone apart and dried to dry the dampness. The thing lit but the functions didn't work at that point. I was treated to a cappucino to calm my frittered nerves. About nine thirty, I went home with a phone that still didn't work, but promises from Lauri that when she dropped her phone in the lake, it took a few days to come back to life.

At home, I called Lynette (23 year old that lives with us)into my room and told her the story. She said she thought the phone would be dead. No, no, Lauri says it will come back. She took the thing apart and blew on it, got the hair dryer and adnminstered more extreme drying to it. Soon, the SIM card came back on and the phone would call out but the person at the other end couldn't hear our voices. I asked her to be in charge of the ill phone and hope by morning it worked. When I got up this morning, the phone was lying on the kitchen table all in one piece. I think that message is that all is well. I set it on Ken's dresser next to his wallet. Unless I get really brave, he will never be the wiser. How could he possibly deal with a wife who made TWO giant mistakes all in one night?

Are there any times in your life that you are so absolutely furious with yourself? Last night was one of mine. I felt totally irresponsible on both counts. I felt it during the night and still feel it some this morning. Hopefully, the happiness of a wedding shower this morning and a graduation open house this afternoon will drive away the yuk from my mind and emotions. I know, I'm nuts.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Doesn't Dad read your blog? :)