Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Flood

During the night, the lightning was coming in the window in record speed and strength. The rumbles of the thunder left no room for silence but we slept anyway. I woke a couple of times and thought, "We are still here and so all must be well". There were tornado watches and warnings for this area on the weather channel. The stillness of the damp air was evidence enough that the danger was lurking. As a child I was pertrified of storms. Today, they are rather soothing.

When I woke this morning a bit later than usual, it was light and I sat in my recliner checking my messages on the laptop. I noticed the sky was not carrying the burden it bore the last two days. It was bright and lighter. All looked well in the front of our house. I had taken a rug in late last evening that just hadn't dried well and hung it over a stuffed chair in the sunroom. I decided to check to see if the rug had dried thoroughly. When I walked into the sunroom, I didn't know what I saw. It was water everywhere in our back yard. I looked to the side and yes, there were more huge areas of water. My first thought was our family room in the lower level. I raced down stairs and just as I feared.......wet carpets in a couple of places. I sent a silent thank you to the Master Protector for what could be a whole lot worse. Then I went to rouse Ken. He acted as if I told him the coffee was on. Soon I asked, "did you hear what I said?" No, he hadn't. The carpets are wet downstairs. He was up in a flash and of this writing, the carpets have been sucked comparatively dry and the fans are running.

One of the first duties of the man of this house after a rain is to check the rain guage. SIX INCHES! We have lived here since l985 and this is only the second time we have had water standing in our yard. The ground here is sand and water seeps quickly. When water is standing that means the water table is very high. Ugh. I wonder how long it will take to go down this time. I noticed the girls will have to swim to their cars this morning.

Many blessings of care have been experienced. The house is still standing and all five people here are well. We praise God.

No comments: