Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just My Humble Take

The news is big on the debate (dispute) between O'Bama and Dr. Jim Dobson. I listened to a discussion about their differences and the slams they have made toward one another on 90.1 Christian radio. It was asked if Dobson should be so vocal about political candidates. One person thought Dr. Dobson speaks very well for the family but that his political views should not be so vehementably expressed. I guess it borders on coloring outside the church/state boxes. My experience is that often our opinions of people are more extreme than moderate. This is probably true about the opinions of both these people about the other. Words taken out of context by anyone about another can quickly destroy faith in the person speaking and the person being spoken of. Sometimes I feel that some well known church leaders of our nation have made of themselves and our faith a laughing stock. Does anyone remember Jerry Falwell? Or say, Pat Robertson, or Reverend Jesse Jackson? These men may be great men of faith but I wonder how many people have lost faith in faith because of their rigid stances. On the opposite side of things were/are, Dr. Billy Graham, Norman Vincent Peal, Dr. James D. Kennedy.....these men had opinions about politics but seemed to know where the line of demarcation was drawn.

To say the least, we as Christians have our work cut out for us when it comes to making a decision on which candidate to support this year. I don't think I need Dr. Dobson or any other man of the cloth to tell me for whom I should or should not vote. This I know, God has established governments for the purpose of maintaining order in society. For that purpose this nation stands because God is the God of all nations, not just the USA, beloved as she may be to us. He is interested in the candidates and whom will lead this great nation in it's next presidential term. I sure do wonder at His will for us considering the choices we have. Neither has the kind of character or beliefs that I would name as particularly Christian.

Do I have concern about who will be the next president of the USA? You bet I do. I wonder if our freedom is being subtly undermined. I wonder what God has in mind for the future of our nation. I tremble.....but.....I will tremble before Him and ask for His grace and favor for our nation and that He will place into office the person that will fulfill His will for us. I pray for forgiveness for a nation that has long forgotten where the source of its freedom has come. O, Lord have mercy upon us.

No comments: