Friday, June 27, 2008

Is There a Remedy to the Cost of Filling the Tank

I am in Algonquin, Illinois for the purpose of getting Isaiah and bringing him home after his week with his aunt, uncle and baby cousin. I looked against having to fill the tank one more time with liquid gold. Just gripes me. My pastor recently said he is troubled because he seems to be giving more money to Allah than to the one true God and that only because he has to travel so much which takes so much fuel and fills the pockets of the Muslims. I hear him. This is ridiculous. I remember in l978 or 79 when we had an exchange student from Denmark that she used to predict (which totally irritated me) that we would be paying $2.00 for a gallon of gasoline before too long. I think it was something like $1.30 at that time. She lamented the price of gas in Europe and resented that we had it so good. I think I have more sympathy for her feelings now than I did then. I also remember with thanksgiving that when we went to Denmark to attend her wedding, her family drove us all over the country burning their precious fuel for the sake of these spoiled Americans. As a matter of fact, they drove into Germany to get us because that was where the flight was the least expensive. That was a big sacrifice for Johannes because even though he lived twenty miles from the border, he had never been inside the German border. His resentment still burned because of the treatment the Danes had received at the hands of the German regime. Those revelations were incredible to me. I had only read about WWII in history books. My daddy spent the first three years of my life in that war but he was spared and spent his time in Hawaii working as a cabinet maker.

Back to the price of gasoline...there seems little one can do but stay home. On the other hand....all my grown up years I've drooled over scooters or small motor bikes. Now, if we weren't in this fuel crisis, a sixty five year old woman on a scooter would be scorned. However, this just may be my golden opportunity. Last week, I called my wheeler and dealer son. He finds the best deals and my assignment for him is to find me an exceptional deal on a scooter. I would like to be able to run to town or to my friends or relatives without feeling guilty. WHEN I get that little jewel, I'll be killing two birds with one stone,,,I'll be fulfilling a dream and saving gasoline. We will see what the future unfolds in this regard. :)

No comments: