Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday, Day of Rest and Gladness

Sunday.....day of rest and gladness. The century old hymn puts it this way:

"O Day of Rest and Gladness"
by Christopher Wordsworth, 1808-1885
1. O day of rest and gladness,
O day of joy and light,
O balm of care and sadness,
Most beautiful, most bright,
On thee the high and lowly
Before th' eternal throne
Sing, "Holy, holy, holy,"
To the great Three in One.

There was a day when we as God's people actually practiced the observance of this day each week. No work,only that which was necessary, was to be done. I recall the rules. Early in my childhood, there wwere no games of ball, no bike riding, and later, absolutely and most definetly....the television did not get turned on on Sunday. My mother always had her house spit polished by Saturday evening. The potatoes were ready for Sunday dinner in a pan on the stove; peeled and in cold water. Those were days of order in our house and in the houses of my friends. We attended church not only in the morning, but in the afternoon and/or later in the evening as well. The ultimate goal was not the rule keeping but the desire to honor this holy God we serve by doing what He did after He created all things. He rested.

Today, I will be doing anything but resting. It's church this morning, a wake this afternoon, and a combined service tonight with sister churches in the area. It's at our church this year and I was given the responsibility of putting that service together. Those participating will gather at four thirty to practice. Practice isn't the best term. We will go through the program to make sure that when it happens it happens smoothly and with dignity. So there will be little time to REST. I can chose, however, to have a restful spirit in my activity since all of my activity will be to praise and worship this holy God we serve.

Planning special services and ones not so special has been my joy over the years. They develop in my head without much effort. I know it is a gift and it has been used many times. It feels like the time has come for me to let the younger generation take the baton. I have been flirting with the idea to make tonight's service my swan song. It isn't that I would give up giving of myself....perhaps it is time to change what I give. We will see how things progress. Our church has called a man to serve as worship coordinator. If he accepts the call, I think it will be my time to step back and give him his go at it.

Tonight's service is called Celebrating Freedom. As I looked over the fourth verse of the afore mentioned song, the words of the first line jumped out at me. This song was written one hundred and fifty years ago. If the nations were weary then...what would their condition be now? Weary-er perhaps. As we celebrate our nations birthday, it is so tempting to focus on God's love for and favor toward the USA. That would indeed be anti scriptural, however. God is a God of the nations...all of them. The Word tells us that He has the kings of the nations in His control.....all of them. God has been so kind to America. So longsuffering. Remember the people of Israel and their tendency to walk away from the God that led them. Do we see a correlation here? I believe that the very faith of many of those who founded this nation would place the USA in a position that more was expected. Doesn't God say to whom much is given much is required? Makes me want to fall on my knees in repentance for our nation and beg for mercy. Oh God, send your heavenly manna to fall on us and refresh us on our way.



4. Today on weary nations
The heavenly manna falls;
To holy convocations
The silver trumpet calls,
Where Gospel-light is glowing
With pure and radiant beams
And living water flowing
With soul-refreshing streams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Amen".

Love, Jann