Monday, June 9, 2008

Yesterday afternoon, I attended graduation where I worked for many years. I saw some of the kids I dearly love get their diplomas. While that was a joy to me, there was a certain sadness lurking beneath the surface of my emotions....I don't know how to explain it but when I hugged my Columbian friend, I noticed how much he has matured and something in me could hardly hold it together enough to get to my car before I boohooed. When one invests years into a kid's education, they become dear and now that I'm retired, there are no more kids to invest in. My Columbian boy proudly told me he earned an Honor's Diploma. I couldn't have been more pleased...he is on to Butler University to study engineering.

I did boohoo all the way home....I tried to analyze my weird behavior. I'm wondering if this was a delayed reaction to my retirement last spring. I rather sneaked out of there and didn't turn in my intent to retire until July when I knew there would be no hoopla over my leaving. I sent the letter and never looked back. Is there some sorrow about the progression of life that grabbed me yesterday? I still feel a bit on the meloncholy side but I'll get over it.

Granddaughter, Alex, began driver's education today. I can't believe how time has flown. She is taking the course at the high school where I taught so I accompanied her and her mother and helped them find their way around. I know the man teaching the class and told him to take good care of our Alex. Alex knows noone there today so I hope it goes well and she finds a friend soon.

No comments: