Saturday, July 12, 2008

Faith Night at the Ballgame

Last night was Faith Night at the Railcats Minor League baseball game. Having been rained out the night before, we were treated to a double header, seven innings each. The weather was absolutely perfect and with faith family all around it was most enjoyable. Because our church had sold the most tickets, 180 of them, our pastor was to throw out the first ball. Pastor decided to take vacation now so the honor went to our youth group leaders. Jason and Joni are good friends of ours....Joni is the same age as our two youngest daughers and so they (we) all grew up together. Joni's mom and dad are also some of our good friends.

On the way to the ballpark, Isaiah said Emily was going to sing the National Anthem. Emily's family had been to our house for the 4th of July and had mentioned the honor to Isaiah. What I didn't know was that Emily and her Dad and twin sisters were all singing. When the time came for both event's; throwing out the first ball and singing the anthem, I high tailed it closer to the action. I guess I stood by the gate long enough for the commissioner to ask me just as the family was coming to the mike if I was with them. I answered that I wasn't with them but that they were family friends. He told me I could come on the field. I humbly refused, even a little embarrassed. He insisted and nearly pulled me onto the field and told me I could get a better picture if I stood behind home plate. What a hoot. What he didn't know but I did was that the battery on my camera had just died. I took the battery out and licked the connection in hopes that I could get at least one good pic of Jeff and his girls singing their little hearts out. Eureka, it worked.

The other pictures are fairly self explanatory except for the one of the little girls playing Barbies. We know all these little girls and got such a kick out of watching them ignore the ball game and play Barbies in the row behind us.

With two games, the first ending in a tie and going into another inning, the night got very long. There were fireworks promised after the game but the later it got, I wasn't so sure we would last. Last we did. Our team lost both games but the fireworks were great. We got home at one thirty this morning. My bio clock is so deeply programed into early to bed early to rise that when I finally got to bed (having risen at five yesterday morning) I could not get to sleep. I felt totally overtired and just couldn't find rest. Toss and turn, toss and turn. I saw two thirty and was up a few times after that. But, could I sleep this morning? Nope, I began to stir at six, laid there til seven and finally gave up the fight. I'll try to get a good night's sleep tonight.

No comments: