Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beauty is as Beauty Does

The latest news on the political scene is the truth that surfaced about John Edward's affair. Comments I heard by the accused made me want to vomit. According to him,

"It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up - feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help."

I can't express adequately all that I feel in this latest revealation. When people question my cynicism about poitical leaders, I feel badly that I have so little faith in them. It seems strange to me that a nation full of people can believe that a man can be true to a nation when he cannot stay true to his wife. How can one believe in a person who will lie before a whole nation? It strikes me as unbelievable that Bill Clinton has been so revered after his lie to the nation. He walks around like a celebrity and is treated as one as well. Beats me.

It appears the Democrats want to distance themselves from John Edwards at the moment. Sure they do. There is an election at stake. Some American citizens still have trouble with infidelity. But, just wait, it won't take long...the man with the handsome face and carismatic smile will be back; not because he is the kind of person I could put my faith in, but because he is handsome and carismatic. Beauty is only skin deep. My grandmother used to say, "Beauty is as beauty does." Show me a person of true integrity and I will cast my vote for them. But, lack of integrity isn't easily seen......finally....it rises to the top and is exposed.

I feel deep sorrow for the Edward's family. This cannot be easily borne. Hopefully, they can put their lives back together as a unit and go on. But please, John, don't think you can rise again in the political ranks and get my confidence. Nada.

No comments: