Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The End of the Cedar Chest Saga

It goes with out saying that in any future relationships I would not want a hope chest. For me, the symbolizm of that item was not hope but an expectation I had not agreed to fulfill. I felt so much guilt over that entire experience. I think I was deemed by some to have fickle feeling; especially by my parents and my doting grandparents. They all liked the young man and felt sorry for him to have such a disappointment. I don't recall any concern for me...such as if I was really ready for a committment or if I was happy or or or....I think I embarrassed my family. While I am sorry to have given the family reason for embarrassment, I have never been sorry about my decision. The young man was a good enough guy.....it just wasn't the right guy.

After a year and a half, the driver of the carpool got my hand. It didn't seem to matter that I had no hope chest. We had the necessary items when needed. About thirty years into our marriage, I received my mother's hope chest which I considered an heirloom since she had been deceased for some time. The chest showed signs of wear and tear so I gave it to someone in our church who planned on refinishing it for me. (I wish I had kept it as it was). Shortly thereafter, that person's garage burned down and along with it, my mother's hope chest.

Recently my twenty year old granddaughter asked me to keep an eye open at garage sales for a cedar chest. I told her I don't see them at garage sales. We joked that anyone that got one and kept their marriage in tack would not get rid of theirs. Generally, the days of the hope chest are over and done...yet Whitney wanted one. When we were in Phoenix this summer, her fiance' came with a hope chest. It was nothing like those of the past....it was made of a lightweight woven material. It was cute and will serve the same purpose. It moved my heart that Whitney had a desire to touch the past with having a hope chest.

When I was in Shipshewana recently, I saw a room full of handhewn cedar chests....they were simply gorgeous and smelled so good. The Amish continue the traditon.

By the way, I heard the solution to the gas prices......turn Amish.

No comments: