Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Gift of Life For Another Year

We went to the river for my BD dinner last evening with some friends. After the lovely meal we stopped by the chocolate shop for some ice cream (just when I had made a committment NOT to eat such lucious things). When we returned to the car, the sun was setting and there was a huge billowy cloud dancing with it. I got out my camera and just about that time, the sun seemed to drop out of view. We drove with vigor to find a spot high enough for us to see that gorgeous sight so that I could keep it forever. When we finally got to where I had a fairly decent shot, I snap the pic....oops......dead.....Oh shucks, I forgot to recharge my battery. We all had a good laugh over that stupid mistake.

AFter we brought our friends to their home we stopped at my dad's house to get some green beans he had picked for us. Imagine my 88 year old dad out in that humid hot weather picking green beans for us. No matter what we say or do, he would have it no different. As we drove in the yard, Mary, was standing gazing into the eastern sky. Her ears don't work the best any more and we drove right behind her as she stood looking into the beauty of the clouds. Notice the sky these summer nights...they are magnificent.

Once she and I both got our heads out of the sky, we went indoors and after a few minutes of conversation they wondered if we wanted to play some cards. We had the best time. As we drove home, Ken and I both enjoyed rehearsing the jokes, the quips, the jabs. We commented that we need to cherish these moments with them. They are precious and not a guarantee in the future.

Today is my 66th birthday. I was born smack dab in the middle of WW2. All that went on while I was alive and I was not truly aware of it even though my daddy was gone the better part of my first three years. My mom taught school to keep the home fires burning while the other adults in my life did a good job of showering me with love and attention and I was a blessed child in spite of the war. My father's parents were devoted but my mother's parents lived next door so my time with them was far greater. I knew them so well and learned so much from them about life and the attitudes one has when sold out to Christ. So today, I celebrate life...the fact that God had me in mind from the foundations of the world. I wonder sometimes if I have served the purpose for which He created me and when I think of that I think about what I have "done". I shake myself back into truth and remind myself that in the world of the one true God, it is not what I have done that matters, but that He has DONE it all. My purpose is to glorify Him. Lord, be pleased with my humaness. Help me reflect you in all ways.

No comments: