Sunday, August 31, 2008

Little "White" Church

I had a horrible night's sleep.....woke up at three and felt as if I hadn't slept at all (though I had). We had a very busy day yesterday visiting with our daughter, Jennifer and her fiance and our son's family in Noblesville. Josh and Jennifer are biological brother and sister whom we adopted at ages twelve and eight. After a great day of sharing lives and a delicious barbecue, we stopped by some old friends in Rossville, IN, made through our common adoption experiences. Bev had just gotten out of a rehab center for a replaced hip and was in a wheel chair. It was so good to see this dearly loved couple so we visited, said goodbye with hugs all around and began visiting for another thiry minutes. We got home around nine thirty and I was pooped. Ken drug in the many things our generous son had once again sent our way. By the time he was finished, the house looked a wreck and I was a bigger one. I went to bed determined to tackle it this morning (which I have). That meant getting up very early after a nothing kind of night. I feel like I've been dragged through a knot hole.

I think I was also stressed over praise team this morning. I took the summer off and it felt so good not to have such huge responsibilites on Sunday mornings. Now I'm back at it and feel less than qualified. Church has gotten so "big". It's what we have prayed for over the years and we are grateful. Plus it is exceedingly exciting to see new families come into a church when they may or may not have darkened the door of a church in some time or ever. Let's say it is a sheer thrill to seeing the Spirit of God work in our community. That being said....with all the growth comes more organization and more complexity. As we drove by some of those little white clapboard country churches on our ride yesterday, the ones whose front doors are setting on the roadside with a tiny patch of gravel on the side for a parking lot, you know the ones......I had a longing for simplicity. I know it wouldn't be long before I'd be longing for the thrill of a celebrative Sunday worship in my own church but I must admit........being among fifty people singing old hymns in a little country church that smelled musty from age sounded like a nice respite.

No comments: