Friday, September 5, 2008

Computer Viruses and Old Ladies

Ken's laptop, which I use most often because it sets next to my recliner in the living room, was totally filled with viruses. It got so bad we couldn't even get on Microsoft word let alone the Internet. Our son is Mr Computer so I called him. When I explained the symptoms he said, "Sounds like your embedded with them." He was busy at the time but would call that evening.......we didn't get together on it until last night for various reasons. I am amazed at the fact that he can hack my computer and take control. I spent about three hours watching the cursor which was governed by Jay move this way and that way clicking this and that icon. He finally called and said he had good news and bad news......the good news was that he had most of it out but could not identify some of them. We had to buy a program to search for the hidden enemy. We were only to glad to know how to beat the thing. When we ran the scan it found over a thousand infected sites. Amazing. It was thrilling to see the cursor click over the "remove" button and all of them disappear. I felt pretty guilty to have my adult son give up three hours on an evening he should be spending with his family. Then I came to some realistic thoughts.....I suppose I have given him at least that much time. I certainly appreciated his help, otherwise this thing would be in a shop right now.

A little old lady came into Curves this morning and asked to be weighed and measured. While weighing her the owner asked her age. She said she was eighty two. The announcement was made....she had lost two pounds. Everyone there broke out in applause and "good jobs" were coming from all over the room. One could tell it had made her day. I watched her on the machines and thought, " I want to be like that when I'm eighty ". Good for her.

I think one of the reasons I like Curves is that I see women of all ages there. There are skinny young things and one wonders why they are there and then there are ladies like I saw this morning.....eighty two and not skinny but working at it and keeping herself strong. While I am not losing weight by going to Curves I sure am getting stronger. I still hate exercising but I do see results and it spurs me on. One day a tall, very skinny girl came in to work out. After she left, I asked the owner why she was coming to Curves. She said that the girl feels very weak and wants to increase her strength and endurance. How one looks doesn't tell the whole story.

No comments: