Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Yawn or a Gasp

I finished reading a Lori Wick fiction book yesterday. I used to scoff at fiction thinking it was only make believe and therefore had no real lasting information or value. What's in a story? Give me a good biography...something with meat in it so I can learn something. I guess I never gave a thought to the fact that the way Jesus got his point across was with an earthly story. That is the way I used to believe. Somewhere along the line of my life, I accidentally read a Christian fiction book. I began to understand that much can be learned from the spiritual depth of an author. Jan Karon taught me so much meaty stuff in the Mitford series. I've read several other authors whom my daughter and granddaughter introduce to me. When I say I have nothing to read...they pull a couple of books out of their hat and I read them.

While reading "Cassidy", I was introduce to the pastor in the little village of Token Creek. He was young and single but deeply spiritual for a man in his early twenties. In one of the sermons related in the story, he brought up the difference between a yawn and a gasp. In physical terms they are fairly similar....especially if one covers one's mouth as it happens. His question to the congregation was this, "When you read God's word or think on Him, do you yawn or gasp?" I thought on that for awhile. I will say that I have often gasped with awe at God as He revealed Himself to me....but I must confess that often when I hear the word read or read scripture, my attitude is one of a yawn.

It all has to do with whether or not we grasp the greatness of the God we serve. Revelations 15:4 says, "Who will not fear you O Lord and glorify your name. For you are holy, all nations will come and worship before you because you are HOLY". What we need to grasp is how big our God really is. The pastor in the fiction book says, "Are you grasping it yet? Are you getting it? A gasp or a yawn? We choose. There is nothing to yawn at here. He is too big for us to be wasting our time yawning. We serve a great and awesome God and that is what we need to grasp. We can't be wasting our time yawning."

I think of that in relationship to the presidential campaign. Let's gasp at His power and trust that He will put into office the person that fits in with His will. I can get very distressed with thoughts of what direction our nation would be headed if one of the two candidates gets in. God doesn't want me distressed....He wants me to stress His power and His greatness, yes, even over the culture and direction of this great nation.

Lord, my hand goes over my mouth and I gasp as I remember that you have all the nations and those that govern them in your control. Lord forgive the sins of your people and restore to this land a respect for You and your ways.

No comments: