Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Does a Virus Mean I'm Sick??

Late....but not forgotten....I had a busy morning. First of all, I had an interview with the assistant superintendent of schools for substitute teaching. That went well and I just hope I'm not busier than I want to be. As we said our goodbyes, the A S said, "hang on to your hat, Debbie will try to keep you busy." Ugh....not really what I wanted to hear. Two or three days a week is plenty. We will see.

Then I had a doctor's appointment. On Saturday night, I felt unsettled....extreme fatigue. Sleeping in the car during a trip is one of my favorite things to do and one of the most restful times of my life. On our trip home from Lafayette, I couldn't find rest. When I woke at three in the morning, I still felt horrible and wondered what was going on. I dragged to church and took care of my responsibility there. When we got home, I crawled into bed and stayed there the entire day. That night I slept fairly well. I don't recall exactly when I noticed it but a lesion appeared on my chest. Then I began to ache in the general vicinity. I knew what that was...I'd had them before. The dreaded shingles. I made it through yesterday in fine style but had trouble sleeping again last night. I decided to bite the bullet and go see my cute young Irish physician. He and his wife had their first girl, third child twelve days ago so he is now very busy (they are in a partnered practice together). I was told I couldn't get an appointment until next week. I told the receptionist my plight and she acquiesced. She could squeeze me in at 11:30.

My self diagnosis was correct. I also showed him a spot on my nose that has been an on again off again problem for some time. He froze that spot and hopes that will take care of it. So I killed two birds with one stone and am glad for it. The anti viral drug for the shingles is supposed to prevent further outbreak so I will hope it does its job. I'm to call him with any further problem. He is the sweetest young man and always makes me feel good when I go there.

No comments: