Tuesday, September 30, 2008

One More Day at the Hospital

It was a beautiful day yesterday as opposed to Sunday when it rained all day. It rained again last night but it can rain all it wants to rain when it is night time.

Jann was more tired yesterday than she was on Sunday. She had a lot of company on Sunday.....plus her blood is a bit low so they gave her some blood yesterday. We were told as soon as we got there that she would get blood but it took the whole bloody day for her to get that blood. No pun intended. They finally got to giving her the blood about three thirty and then it would take three hours to get it in her. We left before she was finished with that. Some friends from her former work place were coming to see her around dinner time so that would break up her evening. I think she will sleep early today. We are hoping that tomorrow we can take her home. That would mean I could spend two nights with her in her home before I go home. Jay called today and said he has a flight out to Charlotte at the same time as my flight to Indy so he will come up north to get me early Thursday morning and then go back south again so we both can catch a plane. What would I do without my kids?

I feel like I'm hardly here and am already getting prepped to go back home. If we didn't have the Recker reunion this Saturday, I probably would have stayed longer.
I will be thankful for the time I could be here and be part of what is a big thing in my sister's life. Considering she is a full time care giver for a husband that needs that care.....this is a big interruption.

When Jann got tired, we suggested we leave for awhile so she could nap. She didn't argue. As we left the hospital, Tricia asked what I'd like to do. She suggested we go to the ocean....I didn't argue. The ocean was beautiful and calming. Both of us wished we had our suits on so that we could take a dip. The water was so warm. The waves were coming in pretty strong. We took our shoes off and put our feet in the break of the wave as it flowed up the beach. All the shells were underneath where the waves were breaking. We decided we wanted to scoop up some of those shells and rake through them for some specimens. Tricia held my camera, I hiked up my jeans as far as I could get them.........no success on shells or keeping dry. We laughed and laughed as both of us got wet beyond comfort. We saw two boys about twelve years old come out of the water and sit on the beach. I walked up to them and asked if they would dive for hands full of shells for us. They were so cute and so polite. They excitedly went diving in the waves scooping up the shells and dropping them at our feet. We found a few that will look good in a dish in the bathroom at home.

After our ocean extravaganza, we were hungry. Trish asked where I wanted to eat. I told her anywhere thinking that fast food would be the usual fare. She asked if I wanted to do lunch at Benhana's. The Japanese restaurant has been in the same spot on Hutchinson Island for as long as my parents have come to Florida. I have always had a desire to go there so this was my first experience. We got there at three minutes before two and they were just ready to close but they did seat and serve us. It was delightful. I was impressed and felt somewhat guilty for enjoying such a delicious meal while my sis was in the hospital. Tricia assured me it was okay for us to have a nice break too. That it was and Jann was delighted to hear that we did what we did.

Other Florida things I got today were a couple of air plants that I scavenged from a tree in the hospital parking lot. It was fun as it reminded me that every time I come to Florida, I take home an air plant.....cheap souvenir.

No comments: