Sunday, September 14, 2008

Patio Lights and Hobo Dinner

Yesterday, we did the usual mundane things one does on Saturdays.....in the mix of things Ken had a couple of appointments for his insurance work so I cleaned and then just vegged in my house and thought of how I have come to love those times when I can stay at home. It hasn't always been that way for me...I wasn't content unless I was "going". But the calm and security of the place I call home has drawn my heart closer.

In mid-afternoon, our son-in-law helped Ken put back together the benches Ken rebuilt for Peggy Sue. They started out here but soon they moved the project to Elton's house. Lauri was making hobo dinner and asked if we would stay. A meal where I don't have to cook? Of course. Thank you very much. Before dinner was ready, the guys were finished with their project and the newly made old benches were packed into the back of the Durango and ready to find their places in Peggy Sue. Of course, it is one step of progress at a time and now we wait for the table top and counter to be complete so that we know just where those benches are supposed to go. That should be by the end of this week. Sometimes progress is so slow, especially when waiting on someone else.

Are you sick of hearing about Peggy Sue yet? Yesterday afternoon, while the project was here, Lauri and Mackenna and I went to a garage sale one door west of us which is about a half a city block but with a woods in between. It was the first time I had met the lady since she had moved in two years ago. Shame on me. Not one of my better suits. Anyway, LAURI introduced me as the neighbor. (I had not done my hair nor had I any makeup on). That over, we began to shop. I heard a little gasp and an "Oh, Mom" as Lauri leaned over a table and caressed two boxes of patio lights. They were very old but had never been used. The bulbs were still in their own separate little box. "Mom, these are the lights Grandma Angie (my mother who died in '76) had on their Airstream". Now I remember my mother always having lights on their trailer but I couldn't tell you that she had THESE lights on her trailer. Lauri was a little girl back then and she must have been impressed with the beauty of those lights. Obviously, I had to make that purchase. They are pastel lanterns and carry on our fifties theme well. When we returned home, Mackenna and I put one string together and they truly are pretty and will adorn Peggy Sue in fine fashion.

If anyone is interested in what a hobo dinner is...I shall explain. Lay out a large piece of aluminum foil. Wash and cut up two to three pounds of red potatoes. Spread potatoes on foil leaving edge room for folding and sealing foil. Sprinkle fresh green beans over the potatoes. Cut up some kind of sausage into half inch pieces. Polish, Smoked sausage...sausage of your choice. Spread the sausage over the potatoes and green beans. Add onions or onion flakes. Salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup water over the top. Fold up sides of foil and seal. Put on grill for fifteen minutes on each side. Careful when you turn it...we lost some into the grill yesterday. Yum....try it...you will like it.

Have a good Sunday and remember to worship at the church of your choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You also need 1/2 to a cup of water to keep things moist.