Friday, September 12, 2008

While I was riding with my daughter and her daughter to the orthodontist yesterday, Sydney asked her mom why Grandma was with. Lauri said she just thought it would be nice if Grandma rode along. Syd persisted, but why? No real reason Syd, just that I wanted some support.......like a good bra, ya know? Grandma is just like a good bra, she holds us up in all the right places. Syd added, "Yea, and she is also close to our heart". So you see, I have a new claim to fame...I am like a good bra. As it turned out we enjoyed being together for that short time while Syd got on four new brackets on her braces.

After the ortho, I went for my haircut and got finished just in time to get Isaiah from school to bring him to his soccer game at the park. When he got into the car I explained that I was going to Syd's volley ball game since his mom was going to his game so he had at least one fan. He told me he didn't need a fan and I told him that he did. We argued a bit about that and I ended it with telling him that we love him and want to be his fans. He and his mom had had a falling out the night before so he told me that maybe we loved him but his mother didn't. I assured him that his mother loved him. No she doesn't. Yes she does. No, she doesn't. Yes, she does. Then he ended things with a bit of sputtin. I don't know how many people know what that means but in Dutch that means to make light of something that is sacred. We might never do that when we were kids but I didn't take Isaiah's sputtin very seriously. This was his reply......".No Grandma, she doesn't love me because if she loved me she would keep my commandments John 14:25". It struck me so funny that I had a good belly laugh. I said, "You just wish your mother obeyed your commandments". We both laughed and hopefully put the ugliness of the night before behind us.

I got to see Syd's game and had enough time to get over to Isaiah's game before it started so both kids had their grandma fan in attendance. Both Syd's and Isaiah's teams won so happy kids went home from town.

No comments: