Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jesus King of Heaven

We had agreed to help each other today in preparation for the Thanksgiving meal here tomorrow. Only problem was that some man called for my man and mentioned that the senior league of golfers was going to golf today. Hmmmm....there went my help. I expected he would be home around twelve thirty. He finally sauntered in at 3:30. By that time I was about ready to call the paramedics because it doesn't take eight and a half hours to golf eighteen holes even if that included time for lunch. Upon his arrival, he agreed that he too was surprised that it took nearly all day. He is now making up for lost time and the vacuum is humming and he is shedding his layers of clothes as the temperature in his body rises. He just informed me that the kitchen floor needs mopping. I already knew that. After the vacuuming he will peel a huge pot of potatoes. I precooked the sweet potatoes, cleaned the brussel sprouts, chopped onion and celery to cook for the stuffing, made a jello salad, went to Costco to get pumpkin pies (theirs are awesome), and have an apple pie in the oven. One of us has to run to town to buy KFC cole slaw. One can't do better than theirs so that is one thing I buy premade. When I was in Costco, I saw that people buy things already made. There is too much old fashioned in me to do that. Made from scratch is still the best way to go for the most part. One lady in Stracks told me she was having the deli do her dinner. Yuk!

I looked on a can of chicken broth and the sodium content was 40%. I was shocked. Even the "low sodium" was well over 25% and I decided there had to be a better option. I finally found some organic chicken broth in the healthier food department and the sodium content was 3%. Now that was a whole lot better. I'm not sure how the majority of people eat because it is just too difficult to find prepared food that isn't full of either salt or sugar. I try. I really do.

It is four thirty and the shades of night are already falling. I do not like these short days. I remember that I was disappointed about the lack of length of day in Phoenix last winter. The temperatures are higher but the days aren't any longer. Sometimes I get a bit melancholy when the day is slipping away and I can do nothing to hold it back. Light is so much more comforting than darkness. That is when I will play Fernando Ortega's song "King of Heaven". The lyrics speak volumes of comfort to my soul.

Jesus King of angels heaven's light
Shine Your face upon this house tonight
Let no evil come into my dreams
Light of heaven keep me in Your peace
Remind me how You made dark spirits flee
And spoke Your power to the raging sea
And spoke Your mercy to a sinful man
Remind me Jesus this is what I am
CHORUS: The universe is vast beyond the stars
But You are mindful when the sparrow falls
And mindful of the anxious thoughts
That find me, surround me and bind me
With all my heart I love You Sovereign Lord
Tomorrow let me love You even more
And rise to speak the goodness of Your name
Until I close my eyes and sleep again
CHORUS Jesus King of angels heaven's light
Hold my hand and keep me through this night
Ahhhh yes......thank You for reminding me of Your precious loving and compassionate care. Hold my hand and keep me through this night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gayle, Also, one of my favorite songs. I have it memorized. So good to read of your blessed Thanksgiving day. We feel blessed, too. -- Barb in Phx.