Saturday, December 27, 2008

The De Vries Family Christmas 2008

Tomorrow is the day our children and grandchildren come to celebrate Christmas. My gracious daughter, Lauri, offered to have it at her house. I don't think I could pull that off right now. Six of our eight children will be attend and with their children the count goes up. Most are coming in tonight as to avoid sleek roads in the morning.

I had decided that I would make a run to Costco and buy my contributions. I haven't been out of the house in quite some time so I knew it was a stretch. When I told Lauri of my intentions she asked if I wanted her to come along. I wouldn't have asked her because she has all her family home today but her husband said he would man the fort while we were gone.

We had a grand time buying things for our party. Our noon lunch will consist of appetizers of all sorts so we bought a variety. As we pulled away with our Durango full, Lauri said, "Wow, we got alot done and it isn't even one o'clock in the afternoon." We chuckled as we talked about the pumpkin pie and the cheesecake all ready to serve. We also got a box of their mini brownies which are delicious. A big veggie tray is ready to set on the table. Some puff pastry looks wonderful. To say that everything there is expensive is a given but on the other hand, when it is ready to go on the table, it is worth a whole lot more than buying the ingredients and then having make or bake it. To say I am thankful for Costco today is an understatement. I feel like my contributions will be beautiful and delicious.

The food is important but the love that is shared is the frosting on the cake of family togetherness. The Lord has blessed us immeasureably.

One more thing. Today is our eldest son's birthday. I recall the year he was born, it was rainy and flooding, not much different than today. His grandfather, Ken's dad, was popping his pride buttons because we named the baby boy, John, after him. I have always loved that name, even as a kid. My next door neighbor boy was a John and he was so tender and wonderful. It took no sacrifice on my part to name our baby, John. I still love the name but I love the son even more. Congratulations, John. Your dad and I are proud to call you our son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time. I sure pray you are able to relax a little and enjoy the gift of family. Beyond the gift of our salvation, family is His blessed gift to us.