Tuesday, December 9, 2008

God is In Control of Cars and the Nations

As I awoke this morning a strange sound was unidentifiable. I knew the wind was whipping around but thought there was more to it than that. Oh, it is raining. Better than snow. Perhaps it will clean the snow off the ground and off the roads. Last evening we had a women's retreat meeting. As we dispersed another member and I were driving our cars out of the subdivision where we had met. Everything was going along just fine. We climbed a hill and made a turn all at the same time. Over the crest of the hill the road was a sheet of ice. I saw my friend frantically trying to get control of her vehicle.....at that point I, too, was on a path to destruction. I started pumping my breaks (old habit, can't get used to the new kinds of breaks which my vehicle has) and when that wasn't helping I drove off the road into an empty lot. My friend had success in the same way and we ended up safe and unharmed. For a moment I felt as if we were going to tangle. How quickly we are reminded that we are at the Lord's mercy everyday of our lives and every moment of every day. I give the Lord thanks for pulling both of us out of that unexpected moment.



This is the kind of morning that speaks climbing back into bed. I am a morning person but this gloomy morning is tempting even me. Good thing I put the sheets in the washer. That takes care of the temptation. I think. I hope.



I just checked the world news. I'm telling you, if one didn't believe God is sovereign, one could be so chagrined. It is crazy out there...even Canada is trying to get their prime minister out of power. People around the world hold their leaders accountable for a nation's trouble. I suppose there is an element of truth to that. However, often times the troubles we as nations encounter are long in coming and can be attributed to unwise decisions on the part of many. When I read that this part of the world or that part of the world is up against a bad economy, I feel a bit guilty. It feels to me like the world has been following the leader (we the richest nation in the world) right into economic failure. So then who is accountable for that? I would have to say, we are all guilty. We are guilty of greed, which is sin. For as long as I can remember, the goal of most families has been "more". I am no less guilty than anyone else. I would challenge anyone to defend their innocence. We are in a sorry mess. How is this going to affect our children and grandchildren? Frightening. I'm grateful I know that God is in control. Aren't you?

1 comment:

Jann said...

Hi, my Dear,

So glad you are safe and sound. After so many years in Florida I am not sure I would remember how to deal with that yuck! Love you!