Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh What a Beautiful Morning

This morning, I had to go to the lab at the hospital for a blood test after fasting eight hours. I usually go in the afternoon when there are few people there and waiting is brief. BUT, I didn't take kindly to not having the freedom to eat today soooooo, we left here about seven thirty and arrived at eight o'clock. There were only four people on the list ahead of me so it was fairly painless, the wait that it. After the routine stick in the arm, we headed to the very nice cafeteria and selected our breakfast. Ken took six sticks of bacon....hmmmmm.......and scrambled eggs. I had scrambled eggs and a bagel with cream cheese. The bill? $2.77 for the two of us. I have heard that many seniors go there for their dinner. Why not? They have good food and one can't beat the price.

Our coffee drinks at Starbucks far surpassed the price at St Anthony's. Oh, well, gotta live a little too. We called Lauri and Elton for their orders as we drove up to the drive through. Lauri was quick to jump on the bandwagon, Elton said his coffee would be enough. Now I know the boy loves one of SB's cold drinks but no amount of encouragement would sway his decision.

We took the river road home (so as to avoid the interstate where construction is at work). Close to the river begins the Kankakee Marsh County Park. It's tree thick forest and bayous are unspoiled. The road becomes narrower and the shadows from the morning sun danced on the road where the trees gave the rays a chance to get in. The bayous were covered edge to edge with green algae. Those same determined rays of sun reflected a lime green and chartreuse hue. It was simply gorgeous and with the temperature around 70 it was a morning where praise to our creator God came without effort. The distance the ride covers can't be over a half mile, but the joy of riding through this natural treasure is always worth the extra time it takes to go out of the way. The wood plank bridge with its tall steel sides only adds to the mystique. I love it. I think I wrote a blog about talking to a beautiful fox that stood next to the road right over the river. She stood still and looked at me as I talked to her through my open window. It will always stand out as a highlight in my experience with wild life.

May the Lord bless and keep each of you this day and always.

No comments: