Tuesday, September 8, 2009

His Name is "Kico"

Dear Mama,

It's been thirty five or more years but today I had a remembrance we shared. I could have laughed and then I could have cried. Dumb head. That's what I proved to you that day. My emotions got ahead of my reality and I did something that was hilarious and so sad. I
had three small children and you always liked to get me out of the stress for awhile. (If you knew how my future went you would faint....we went from four to eight, Mom. I love them all and you would too) Ken stayed home with the kids and you and I took off to Hammond. It was such a shopping heaven in those days. Some things do change. It would break your heart, Mom.

You loved canaries........it rubbed off on me. I still love to hear a canary sing. They aren't much in vogue right now. You were out to buy one for yourself and instead you came out with two little boxes, one for me, too. I'll never forget that gesture of love. The only DQ around was in Dyer (We sometimes made special trips just so Dad could get his gedunk, remember) Well, it was on our way home so the plan was made to have our treat there. It was a lovely day. I recall sitting with the windows down, enjoying the mild weather. I had my little box on my lap and decided to take a peek. Well, the canary must have been planning it's escape. It lifted itself up and flew out the window. My stomach was tied in knots. Were you going to be mad at me. No, you laughed really hard and said we should get out of the car and see if she had found a branch somewhere. She was out of sight, but not out of mind.

When we got home, you did the ultimate. You gave your little box to me. Oh Mom, it makes me cry real tears right now. That story is probably one of the most precious I have of you and me. Being the oldest kid I sometimes felt left out while you took care of the younger three. That day you proved your love to me.

So let me tell you something, Mom. Today I got a baby cockatiel. I don't know what you know about them but they make wonderful pets. He is already sitting in my hand and on my shoulder. It would take five canaries to make up his size. God put this one at just the right place at the right time. He is every thing I wanted in a cockatiel. He is what they call a pearl. and he is a male which I was seeking. He has just been weaned so should learn to know us well. Very colorful. I understand their lifespan is 20-25 years. Ken said we probably have to put him in the will.

To my favorite bird lover, I say thank you for putting that love in me. You have been gone nearly forty years, but I still miss you and often wish I could share with you. That is why this note is to you. Love you, Mama

No comments: