Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving morning; six o'clock. The turkey is stuffed and in the oven. I'm not smelling the wafts of wonderful yet but they are sure to come. I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There is no expectation except a good meal and I can do that without a whole lot of effort. What's to making turkey, mashed potatoes, creamed cauliflower, fresh green beans, twice baked sweet potatoes, fresh cranberry relish, and wonderful rolls from Great Harvest Bread store? Those are just the things I have ready and the guests are sure to bring their contributions. I don't think we will starve today, or any day for that matter. We are the most blessed people on the face of the earth and sometimes we are the biggest complainers and whiners.

Last evening I went to Merrillville (my favorite place; I know, you're getting sick of hearing about it) with Scarlen and her friend Lynette. Lynette has lived with us about fifteen months now. At this point she is just another cherished member of the family. Good kid and always, always kind and respectful to me. In days gone by, that was a true life saver.

I asked the girls to drop me off at Costco and get me when they were finished looking at J.C.Pennys for "grown-up" clothes for the holidays and for job interviewing. Two and a half hours later, as the employees of Costco were beginning to wonder if I was up to something as I busied myself with eating a hot dog, returning into the store a couple of times and just plain sitting at a table in their snack shop, the girls returned for me. I told them I felt abandoned. They had in their car the fruits upon their labors; several outfits each. When we got home, they had to model for me. Scarlen is twenty eight years old and has dressed as a teenager since before she became one. Suddenly, I have a daughter who wants to look the part of an adult, which she is. As she was modeling one of her outfits, she pulled her top over a tatoo she got many years ago. At the time of her decision to get that thing put on, I nearly died of disappointment. Why would anyone mark their body, especially in a place that was going to show with every shirt except a turtle neck? Obviously, we had disagreements about tatoos for years. Suddenly, Lynette, says, "Oh Mom! I forgot to tell you! When we were in the dressing room trying on clothes, Scarlen said, 'My mom was right, I hate this thing'". We all, including Scarlen, had a rip roaring laugh over that. BUT, today on Thanksgiving day, I'm not so thankful Scarlen thinks I was right, but I'm delighted that she has the respect for herself that wishes that thing were off her. We talked about getting it taken off. She said she is afraid of the pain. I reminded her she wasn't afraid of the pain of having it put on. Well, she will think about it. I think the plan has been born.

Snow was in the forcast for overnight and this morning. I've looked outside. Nothing. For which I am thankful. I don't like the kids trying to get here when the roads are treacherous. God bless all those that travel this morning and bless our day with joy in each other. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Remember, we have nothing that is ours. Everything we have and are is from our gracious Father in heaven. Even the very breath we take is a gift. Thank Him for it today.

No comments: