Thursday, November 8, 2007

Nothing New Under the Sun?

My grandfather used to say, "There is nothing new under the sun". Actually, I think that is an original quote from Ecclesiates. My mother used it often to refer to fashions. As "new" fashions hit the racks at her favorite stores, she would utter that phrase. She meant that what she saw there was just a modern take on fashions she or her mother wore in years past. I guess designers can only do so much with the covering they design for our bodies. My mother died young so imagine how an older person feels when fashions do their cycles.



I must confess that I have an innate desire for new. Now I don't mean that I have to have new things. It's not like that. I live in an old house, drive cars that are years old and enjoy the efficiency of a dish washer that must be 25 years old. We dragged it with us when we moved to this house and had purchased it used from a man that lived near church and died many years ago. My desire for new is a desire for the fresh and creative. I LOVE seeing new takes on things. I got my Martha Stewart Living holiday version yesterday. I love Martha Stewart even though she doesn't have a prestine reputation. Yes, I know she spent time in the fancy hotel none of us wish to enter but I feel like she was made a scape goat. I don't condone illegal acts, but throwing into jail someone like Martha who has done nothing for our nation but encourage women to make beautiful homes on a shoestring and be good hostesses is crime in itself in my mind. We need more Marthas. She has an interesting name, doesn't she? I had my nose out of joint when all that was going on. She has served her time now for inside trading (while drug pushers and murderers roam our streets). She is back in the saddle and showing the world her true colors. I think Martha is one of those people God uses who may not even know Him. I can't think of a more honorable goal for a woman than to make a comfortable place for her family to live and a warm place for entertaining guests. I know there are many other goals that are important but to me, this is a rather basic goal. It doesn't take a lot of time or energy, just some creative thought. Okay, I really got away from my goal in this blog for today.


At any rate, last evening, I sat in my green recliner while it vibrated away and looked through the latest Martha magazine. I look for things to do in my home that will make it fresh and beautiful this holiday season. I don't have tons of money to pour into any project but I enjoy finding one little new thing in her magazine each month. To my disappointment, I didn't find anything I felt I could implement this time. Seeing that it is the holiday issue makes it all the more disappointing. Perhaps the Lord is saying, "Gayle, you are going to be gone right after Christmas, make it simpler this year."

Martha was the person that got me started on collecting church plates. Her magazine featured them many years ago and I was bitten by the bug. I have enjoyed the collecting and found I could do that one or two dollars at a time. I don't buy any that have a big price tag. It's a matter of where one buys them that determines the price one pays. I now have over fifty of them. I so enjoyed churches. They speak core value to me. I love the similarities and the differences of the churches and the plates. I enjoy the histories of each on the back of the plates. Some of my friends have aided me in my collection. Cindy just gave me the first 22 karat gold plate that I've seen. I'd like to thank my friends who are always on the lookout. As one friend said last Sunday at church, " I like the hunt". I think I like the hunt, too.

My whole goal in today's writings was to explore the desire in me and others for change. I know so many people that don't like change, but some forms of change is something that I welcome in my life. It brings vitality and interest into the daily routine. It makes me keep up with the times (even though there is nothing new under the sun). Perhaps that explains much about the family we are part and the church we are part. One component in change that needs to be there in order for me to be inticed is integrity. Don't give me any phoney stuff, but help me get rid of the phoney stuff I've been hanging on to. That is why I don't keep any dishes that have been broken or cracked. A fixed dish is a phoney. I also don't want hostess sets that have been put together with a plate found here and a cup from a different set found there. No way. I want the authentic. The original plate with the original cup is my cup of tea. No pun intended. Some people call me a snob. That's okay. I don't mind sticking to my standards in spite of the judgment.

One of the reasons I love God's word is that it is fresh and new every time I read it. I forgot to tell you. There is one thing that is always new. God's mercy is NEW every morning. Somehow I think God understands my desire for new and fresh. He likes it too. So, now that I have rambled on and on about nothing, I will enjoy His new mercy for today.

No comments: