Friday, December 7, 2007

More of This and That

Well, I made the two programs in which family members particpated and am back home safely. The weather wasn't so nice but it didn't deter a good car trip. The trip home was long because of heavy traffic which I anticipated when I knew I would be traveling between 3:30 and 6:00 p.m. The worst part of that was the early time in which darkness falls. It wasn't but a half an hour on the road and the cars were turning lights on and soon darkness fell. I was driving a different vehicle than what I am used to and found that the blind spots in this SUV are larger than in our other vehicles so I had to adjust my lane changing and checked two or three times before each move. I know I'll get used to it but for now it was a bit unnerving.

My twenty four hours with Kendra was most enjoyable. I was able to help her in preparation for her second grade program. I also sat in on her regular classes and always enjoying watching her do her thing and the kids enjoying the class. I love to watch them bob around to the music, swaying this way and that, some are pretending they are directing, and others are intent on watching and listening. I am overcome with sadness though, when I realize how secular our public schools have come. With the ousting of the true meaning of Christmas, the kids are getting filled with a bunch of fantasy that means nothing to their eternal spirits. The administration at this school is very concerned about repercussions so no mention of Christ or Christian faith are approved. It was very interesting, however, when while watching a video of Christmas music, an unexpected voice was heard for truth. The songs were all the secular children songs one has heard at Christmas but the producer ended the video with Joy to the World. One little kindergartener, as chunky as Santa himself, sang along. When it was over, Kendra turned off the player and Noah said, "I like that song because God does really rule the world". He quickly looked around at the reaction and saw that noone was saying or doing anything so he added, "God is a good person, you know, actually, He isn't a person, He is a spirit." True to the directives of her administration, Kendra said nothing but looked at me and winked. I felt so compelled to get up and hug that little person and affirm his profound faith but I felt I couldn't under the circumstances but I told myself that if I saw him in the hall anytime later, I would tell him how much I appreciated his words of truth. I didn't see Noah again. I hope the Lord nudges his little heart with continued courage. Out of the mouth of babes. Oh God, help our public schools, our government and our citizens to be swept over with the knowledge of truth.

Truth? Many people at the school, staff and students alike made comments about how much Kendra looks like me. Ugh. Poor kid. One lady went as far as to say she looked like a clone walking next to me. The lady lamented that none of her four children look anything like her and she is bummed about that since she did the most to bring them into the world. I got a mixed bag of reactions and have decided to ignore both of them. One little boy upon leaving the room told his friend, "That old lady was looking at me." Do I really look old to him? I don't think of myself as old but I guess my age is a rite of passage into old age. I don't feel old inside so I suppose that is a good thing. Later a little first grade girl got out of her seat and walked to me as we waited for the dress rehearsal of the play to begin and said, "You look like someone I know". I asked who I might look like and she told me I looked like her mom's Aunt Chi Chi. I told her that I was happy that I looked familiar to her. Her comment was, "Aunt Chi Chi is a pretty lady, too." After being called an old lady, that was music to my ears but I will remember that both children were simply that; children.

Last evening was the band program at the school where I spent my first eight years of education, De Motte Christian School. We have five grandchildren that attend there and it is a joy to attend their functions and recall that they are now the third generation that have benefited from the Christian education that began sixty years ago in that place. The bands did a wonderful job. I had to compliment our eighth grader when I saw that she is the only trumpet player that holds her trumpet up in a confident manner. She smiled. I suppose that is somewhat of a blessing that I gave to her, uh? In Bible study on Wednesday we talked about the importance of parents giving their blessing to their children. I commented how I still want to please my eighty seven year old father and how much I want to get his approval. That is difficult to get from that generation. They were into making sure none of us became too proud so compliments are few and far between. Ken and I recently made a committment to bless our kids and our grandkids as often as we have opportunity. To do that one has to keep an open mind to the changes that are ocurring in our world. Our preconceived notions must be open to change. We are working on that; it isn't easy.

No comments: