Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pearly Whites

It has been a wild weekend. We had a busy day on Saturday getting Aidan to all of his activities. In the early morning we had him to the golf course for his weekly lesson. While he and his cousin learned how to be professional golfers, the rest of us went to Village Inn for breakfast. After breakfast, we brought Ken and Don to the golf course and they joined the y ounger boys in nine holes. While the boys golfed, Sherri and Whitney and I cruised the streets for garage or yard sales. We had a great time picking up a bit of this and that. I am much more cognizant of the lack of storage space at my house recently. Each time I look at a new piece of glassware or dishes, I remind myself that there is no more storage space at our house. After the golf game, we brought the boys to a football clinic sponsered by Quest, the company for which Sherri works. There were some big name kickers there that gave the boys some thrills and taught them some kicking secrets. They had a wonderful time showing everyone their moves.

Sunday morning was church and then Don's greater family began to arrive for dinner to celebrate his aunt's 78th birthday. She is a dear woman who though never had children now acts as mother to Don and his siblings. They love her and she them. I always enjoy visiting with Auntie Carol. She has a great sense of humor and used to live in De Motte so we can talk over the happenings in lives of people we both know. There were 23 people here for dinner so the place was hopping. It was a great day.

Yesterday was Martin Luther King day and so the kids had a holiday from school. Don and Sherri took off work and the four of them accompanied Ken and me to Mexico. The trip's purpose was to get Ken a new set of top teeth. That meant he had to have ten teeth removed before he could boast a new smile. I was a wreck for him but he seemed to take it all in stride. He said he sat in the chair and eventually took a nap. There is just no way that would happen to me. He was in the chair about two hours. I have to say that if I ever had pride in my husband it was yesterday for the courage he displayed to all of us as he let them yank all of his top teeth at one time. In his style he came out joking. I wondered if he would be able to walk back to the border but he did just fine. A little bit of bleeding needed some mopping but other than that he was good to go. He took a good nap in the car on the three hour trip home and woke up with new vigor and humor. This morning he is up and seemingly none the worse for the experience. His smile is pearly white and he seems to be relieved that the problem he had with his teeth is now a memory.

The weather was beautiful while we were in Mexico. I think the temperature was right around seventy and the sun was so bright and intense. That warmth on my bones is so welcomed.

Today, Don and Sherri have returned to work and Aidan to school. Whitney is still in bed and we have talked of going for haircuts together today so we will see what happens. I think Ken will take it easy today and just recover from the trauma of yesterday.

No comments: