Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dreaded Dentist's Chair

This has been quite a day.....the real reason we came out here is to get Ken's bottom teeth reconstructed in Algdonos. Ken penciled out the expenses we would incur and difference between the cost of getting the teeth fixed at home compared with the Mexican prices. No comparison. He decided we could enjoy a road trip, a visit with precious family members AND GET OUR TEETH FIXED. When we were here last January and Ken got his top dentures, I knew I should get my teeth cleaned but I chickened out. Today, I got really brave. I told the gal behind the desk that I wanted my teeth cleaned and I had one tooth brake off recently that I wanted him to look at. So big brave me, with my knees shaking in my boots, succumbed to the dental chair. When I looked at the pictures of my teeth on the screen, I could have fainted. They were sheer ugly. So, the upshot is that I need four crowns, a cleaning and two fillings. Most of that work is on the upper right hand side of my mouth. Today I had three crowns prepped and my teeth cleaned. I hate to have my teeth cleaned but the guy sprayed my gums with some type of anethesia and after gagging from the strong cinnamon taste, I bucked up and took it.

On the way out of Yuma, about fifteen minutes from the Mexican border, the dentist's office called to tell us that the dentist forgot to prep my fourth tooth for crowning and that we should come back. Ken fussed a bit and after some convincing, Sarah said if we came early on Friday she would make sure the lab could get the crown ready by late afternoon. Ken told her in no uncertain term that we were not going to make more than two trips there from Phoenix so they better figure out a way. They apologized all over the place and said they will take care of us on Friday. I felt a bit disappointed though because I thought I had all the hard work behind me. Ken encouraged me by saying it will be a cinch with only one to go. Oh well, it won't be misery for very long.

Now, my big brave husband, on the other hand, had ALL his bottom teeth prepped for crowns. He was a bit rattled when he walked out after sitting in the chair for two hours. Couldn't blame him......but....he will have a completely white mouth come Friday. Yeah!

So, I say again....it's been quite a day. I'm dog tired....Seven hours on the road and hours on end in the dentist office. Ready for a good night's sleep.

BTW, my four crowns, fillings and cleanings came to 980.00. Thank you Lord.

No comments: