Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Morning in Phoenix

I’m sitting on the patio….it is six in the morning. I set an alarm so that I could get some cinnamon rolls ready for breakfast. I put the dough together last evening and let it rise during the night. This morning I rolled out the dough, added the cinnamon and sugar and rolled the dough so I could cut them into little pinwheels. They are now in the warm garage rising under on one of Sherri’s antique dish towels. My daughter loves antiques…especially anything to do with kitchen items.

I am noticing how different the morning sounds are here in comparison with those outside my door at home in Indiana. I hear the traffic on the street a block away….a bit heavier than my little country road at home even though we are in the “country” here in northern Phoenix. I heard the jingle of the latch of the neighbors gated horse pen. Yep, there is another human awake in the neighborhood. I watched the man guide his horse out the gate and down the path……evidently he plans to take a morning ride.

Bird sounds are totally different here. There is one that whistles exactly like a man would whistle at a good looking chick. As I walked to the car the other night, one whistled and I audibly thanked him. It’s been a few years since I’ve gotten a whistle.  Actually, I don’t remember if I ever got whistles. At this point in life, it matters none.

We had a rain shower during the night so everything is wet. It won’t stay that way very long. Coming from humid Indiana, I’m amazed how quickly everything dries here. Sling a wet swim suit over a chair and it is dry in a half hour. Ken’s suit was left out during the night so it is dripping this morning….it will be dry by the time he is out of bed. There is also no dew to deal with here. Well, there is no grass to collect the dew so feet stay dry even in the morning. Imagine not having to mow a lawn each week.

When things go bump in the night……those are scary times. I had been up to check the dough…it was 2:55 A.M. It was lightening like crazy outside. I crawled back in bed and perhaps ten minutes later, I heard a terrible noise that conjured up scenes of damaged something. I thought of getting up to check and then felt a bit of fear. Perhaps someone is in the kitchen. Oh well, Lucy (their big bull dog) isn’t barking. But then, I have never heard Lucy bark so that was little comfort. I woke Ken and asked if he would check the kitchen for me. (Big brave me) I could tell he had been in a deep sleep and felt a bit guilty for disturbing him. He got up and turned on the lights. Nothing awry that we could see. He asked if I thought I had dreamed the noise. No, I was certain I heard it because I hadn’t fallen back to sleep. As we walked down the hall, Isaiah met us. He had heard the noise, also. There, that redeemed me. We looked again together and still saw nothing out of place. I looked the garage over this morning and that seems to be unchanged as well. It will be interesting to see if our hosts have any explanation.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Wasn't it kind of weird to run into Isaiah in the hallway in Phoenix? I'm assuming he's still in Indiana. I would have been scared to see him teleported to Arizona too ? :)

Kendra said...

Nevermind - I guess I"m the one in the dark - I didn't know that Isaiah went with you guys, Fun!