Friday, August 29, 2008

Yesterday, I set up a blog for our church's annual women's retreat....while I was happy with the results, I soon realized a blog is too limited for such a thing. I sent off a message to computer son, Jay, in West Palm and told him my dilemna. He wrote back immediately that he could help me set up a website. The only stipulation was that I had to maintain it when it was set up. No problem, right? Welllllllll, we began that process late yesterday and into the night. I can't believe the work that goes into setting up a website. No wonder people that set them up get paid well. When we were ready to call it an evening....his words to me were....okay, if you remember everything I told you tonight, there are two other sites I set up for you; one for Dad and one for the family. Oh brother.......my first reaction was to throw back my head and guffaw. I retired with a mind full of stuff I do not expect to remember today but I'll give it my best shot.

Jay was always into technology....we adopted him from Korea at age six and a half. He was (and still is a pure delight). When he was around twelve, his dad got him his first computer, a Commodore 64. He spent nearly every waking moment down in the lower level (before it was finished) sitting at that square of light and doing what ever he was doing. It was greek to me. He had a partner in crime, his name was Miles. Miles lived close enough that they could walk to one another's computers. Together the boys learned how to make programs. That old 64 was a good beginning to helping Jay do what he does today. He sets up programs for big business and big health facilites. Most of his work he does from his home. The stuff Jay understands is still greek to me but I have come to a place of understanding this box that sets on my lap that I never dreamed I could do. Too little too late though.

My dad has always been on the ball about anything new that came across our world. When computers came around, his reaction blew me away. It was if he drew a line in the sand and said.....I will not go there.....I know he would enjoy communicating with people by e-mail and I also know he and his wife would love having the world at their finger tips. They have chosen not to try. I am a bit disappointed with their resistance to learning. My dad is a smart guy and could catch on easily. Can't teach old dogs (ones with strong wills) new tricks.


I let you know when the website is up. In the mean time....the same information, but less of it is at www.ccrcwomensretreat.blogspot.com

No comments: