Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sometimes Florida is a Long Trip

The news of my sister is good….the surgery went well and she is already bouncing back….PTL.
Now my effort to get to her…..Lauri got a good deal on a ticket from Travelocity. I was pleased. She commented to me that she felt a little uneasy about it but we had a confirmation, etc. Friends, Jerry and Joyce were going near Joshua’s house in Noblesville so I hitched a ride with them, a plan in place for Ken to meet me on my return on Thursday. We got to Josh and Susan’s and spent some time visiting. Joshua and I left around one o’clock for the airport. I got to the airport in Indianapolis with confidence. When I tried to check in outside the gentleman told me I wasn’t on the flight. Oh great. I went in to the counter and was given the news that I had an hour and a half to work things out with Travelocity. I was instructed to call to see what I could get straightened out. The man on the other end answered politely but very business like. He told me that my American Express Card had been denied and that the ticket had not been issued. Supposedly they had sent me an e mail to that effect. Not as of the time I left did I receive an email with that info. The fact that I used my American Express Card several times yesterday told me something was awry. He virtually told me that because it was my card that was not accepted, he couldn’t do anything for me. He suggested I go to the counter and buy a ticket. My thought was, ‘oh yes, for five hundred dollars’. I called Ken and told him the situation. He said it was totally ridiculous. I said I thought he should come the two and a half hours to get me. I was all ready to give up. He told me to check what a walk up ticket would cost. I walked up to the counter and took a guy aside and told him my plight. He was very understanding and said that sometimes their walk up tickets are quite good and other times they aren’t very good. I told him to go ahead and check but that if it wasn’t around two hundred dollars I would not be purchasing one.

He told me he could get me out and back for 200.00 even. He was as surprised as I and I told him I thought the Lord had something to do with that and he smiled and said, “I think so, too”.

A big hurdle jumped. Oh , BTW, the same American Express Card purchased that ticket without any question.. Lauri and Ken were working on trying to unravel the mystery and found that Travelocity DID charge the 227 dollars to our account. Good thing it is on AE.

Grrrrr. Then I had to go through security. Oh my goodness……..As this little gal was checking all but my insides, I said to her, “And this is the thanks I get for having a defibrillator, uh?” She apologized as she continued the search with “now, I will check a sensitive area” over and over. I think it is a crock that one with a pacemaker or a defibrillator has to stand out in the middle of the tons of passengers and have someone give them a shake down. It is downright humiliating.

I’m sitting waiting to board. I feel like I’ve been pulled through a knot hole. I hope I can sleep just a little bit on the plane. My busy day yesterday is catching up with me.

Later……………..I slept about ten minutes on the first leg of my flight which was from Indy to Atlanta. It was just what I needed for my emotions to catch up with my body. I needed some equilibrium, after that experience I was a bit rattled.

The flights were great and I was most pleased with Airtrans. As we took off in Indy I was struck with the force it takes to lift a big plane off the ground. The pull of gravity is very powerful. It came to me that God has given man the knowledge to break through that gravitational pull. It is a pretty awesome thought.

When I got in West Palm, Jay and Tasha, Austin and Jessica were waiting for me. It was a very warm and delightful welcome and I got a second wind as we had dinner together at Fridays.

Time for bed…..will get to see my sister tomorrow.

No comments: