Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nothing Big But All Good

I have a niece getting married tomorrow on a cruise ship. She and her future husband have planned this cruise for months. Her mom and step dad had purchased tickets along with other close members of the couple's families. This was to be a highlight of life for my sister who has never been on a cruise and was so looking forward to it. This is the same sister (my only one) that had open heart surgery some weeks ago. Her doctor had given her clearance and all was well. Until.....her husband landed back in the hospital. This creates heartache for everyone involved. I feel so sorry for Jack as he must feel responsible for this and yet, the poor man can do nothing about his failing health. I know my sister is sad as well as my niece. They need a hefty dose of God's comforting grace today. I got a message from my sister's other daughter this morning and it sounds as if she and her mom will be able to at least attend the wedding which will happen on the ship in port. Then they will return to land while the rest of the wedding party takes off for the cruise. UGH My heart is in Stuart, Florida with them today.

It is a cloudy, rainy, cold morning....the kind when one wishes he/she could stay in bed for the day. I'm still sleeping in a different room from my husband because of his nasty cold. I got up around two o'clock and heard the television running where he was sleeping. I opened the door and walked into the room with every intention of shutting off the television. There he lay on a couple of pillows with his glasses on and his hand out with the remote pointed at me. I laughed and asked what the world he was doing awake. The story was that he had fallen asleep and just after received a call that woke him and then he couldn't get back to sleep. He said, "It's pretty late isn't it?" "Yes, Dear, it is two in the morning". I gently closed the door and went back to my place of refuge. At this writing I have been in and out of the bedroom where he is sleeping and he is zonked. I was very quiet and hope he will sleep it out. When will we learn to shut off the phone at night?

This morning is Bible study. My little Lincoln school student has early dismissal today so I will have to see her tomorrow or Friday. This afternoon, I have my last mentoring session with a young gal joining our church. It will be an easier Wednesday than normally but that will feel good. Yesterday, my time was a wash. In the morning a lady from church and I started a new mentoring session. We had a grand time sharing faith and getting to know one another. When she left, my youngest brother came to return some equipment he borrowed. He talked from just inside the door for awhile and then I finally asked him to come up and sit. Sit he did until about three o'clock. We solved the world's problems. It isn't often we get time to share in depth so we got to talk over stuff that probably needed talking. I love that man as if he were my own kid. He is twelve years younger than me and I have always felt like his second mother. That feeling intensified when our mother died when he was just twenty years old. He is a gem.

Since Ken is still asleep, it is I who must bring Isaiah to school so off we go to begin our day. Have a great one yourself. Enjoy each moment and give thanks.

No comments: