Friday, December 5, 2008

The End is in Sight

We are in a big deep freeze. The temps are lower today than yesterday. Winter starts the 21st of December and here it is the 5th and we have had quite a bit of winter weather already. As long as I can stay tucked indoors I'm okay with it. Fighting it is another matter all together. I hear the furnace running most of the time. I have visions of dollar bills dancing in my head and watch as they float out the door and windows. Two weeks ago, a new attendee at our church gave his testimony. He told of his experiences last winter when he had lost his job. He didn't turn on the heat to save debt from something he had no money for which to pay. There were times that the temp in his house was in the twenties. His real point was that it was then that he met some young guys from our church who invited him to church and he began to attend. One of the church families has him for lunch nearly every Sunday. Otis has grown by leaps and bounds in his spiritual life. His tough existence brought him to seek the important things in life. It was a heart warming testimony.

I'm sitting at my computer desk looking over at the table that sets here in the family room. It is strewn with papers and books. It is our daughter's desk, I guess. She has only two weeks to go before she has her four year degree in business. Her completion in this quest has been long in coming and we are proud of her for keeping her goal before her. There has been wavering over the years but the end is now in sight. I can't wait until we can dump all the papers and books into the refuse and get some semblance of order here again. I'm sure she looks forward to not having home work to do in between work and being a single mom. When I asked her about it she said she doesn't know what she will do with her time when she finishes. I'm sure she will figure it out. First order of business will be to look for a job in her field. We pray she will be successful in that effort so she can afford to have a life of her own.

No comments: