Sunday, February 1, 2009

Yesterday We Honored Jack

Even though the sun was shining, the wind was cold. Everyone was complaining......the natives that is. My niece apologized to me a couple of times like she could do something about it. Ken called me to come to the back yard. He instructed me to sit in a chair in a little corner. I told him there was no way I was going to sit out there in that cold. He assured me he checked it out and the sun would bake me there. I finally acquiesced. I had on a big brown sweatshirt and the sun started to penetrate through my clothes. Finally, I got warm enough to take the layer of my sweatshirt off and sit in my tank top. I sat there about an hour. When I came in to get ready for the wake, I could tell I had gotten some sun. By the time I got in my pjs last night, I was shocked to see I had a sunburn on my neck and shoulders. I even came out to the living room to show it off. We had a good chuckle together that I was going to get sun no matter what the weather might be.

Yesterday afternoon went very well. The wake was enjoyable as we watched coworkers, neighbors, and friends come by to comfort my sister and her family. Since Jann moved south many years ago, she pretty much left family behind in the north. She has a precious daughter here that has moved back here and she some members of her husband's family. The food brought in for the after the funeral dinner was beyond adequate. Besides every side dish one could imagine there was a huge ham, a big aluminun pan of fried chicken, and a luscious baked turkey and a couple of big vegetable and noodle dishes. The line of cakes, pies and brownies was a temptation to everyone. Jeanie, Jack's daughter, made my dad a pineapple upside down without sugar. He was pleased.

Our son, Jay and his wife, her mother and their two beautiful children, Austin 12 and Jessica 4 came up from West Palm and stayed until everyone else left last evening. We don't get to see those grand children often so every chance is a treasure. Even though there was only one other child here, Jann's grandson, 13, the three of them had great fun together.

No comments: